Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NYtrout27

Salmon & Steelhead tube flies

I got a pro tube kit for my Bday from my girlfriend. I bought it and she said it was my present, funny how that works. Anywho, They are fun to tie. I tied up a few bright and flashy ostrich intruders, flasahabou streamers, marabou leaches and a flesh fly. I know they are far from perfect, your criticism is appreciated.

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

I have yet to tie a tube fly,but these ones look good.They arn't to fancy,but good.

If you want to tie tube fly's cheap....grab yourself some of those q-tips with the colored plastic stems. Then, get a piece of metal off of one of those little property marking flags and cut a pin to slide it on. Then find some 1/16" ID latex tubing and get to work :) . That's how I tied my first tube fly. I hammered the one end down a little to make it flat so it would hold in my vise better. I haven't fished any of them yet, but their construction is sound. They even make a nice mushroom tip when you touch a lighter to them just like a "standard" tube fly will. I only had three colored q-tips and noticed that there were slight differences in their diameter, but just hit the pin with the hammer ONCE and flattened/flared it a little where the back of the tube sits and they all snugged up on it. I'm not tying any more up, as of yet, until I can get a new fly line purchased for swinging streamers, which also includes me buying a spare spool for my reel(Or go the cheap route and get a sink tip kit). I also took a file and rounded/deburred the tip of the pin.

Hi,

Your tube flies look great and should serve you well. Let us know what the fish think of them. Take care & ...

Hi,

Your tube flies look great and should serve you well. Let us know what the fish think of them. Take care & ...

Thanks Al!! I hope to entice a trout or salmon here soon with them. Here's a couple more I tied up...

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg