Fly Tying
Markbob

Headed to trout country?

My wife's uncle passed away this summer and we (the family) are getting together in Helen, GA for the memorial service. We will be up there for the week end so I don't see any reason not to bring the fly rod. I will be staying in the Helendorf on the Chattahoochee river. Anyone live in or fish this area? It looks like great trout fishing, anyone have any advice on what to take for flies and so forth? Any tips would be great. Thanks.

You have to have reservations to fish there? If you mean to stay, no, that's not an option. We are staying at that hotel because that is where the rest of the family is staying. This hotel is right on the river though and from the pictures I have seen, it looks to have some nice pocket water similar to the streams I fished out in CO.

Smith cove is a state area with very controlled fishing access. The only charge is parking, like $3 or 5. You can fish from 8 to noon or 1 to 5PM. Trophy and wild fish. They take you out and pick you up. Great fishing.

I think you mean Smithgall Woods - Dukes Creek very worth while fishing there if you can get a slot, some very nice fish, very well educated too.

Also fish unicoi State Park, nice stream running through there with stocked fish, can't recall thee stream name.

While in Helen check out Unicoi Outfitters they will give you the low down on everything

Yes, that is it.

I think you mean Smithgall Woods - Dukes Creek very worth while fishing there if you can get a slot, some very nice fish, very well educated too.

Also fish unicoi State Park, nice stream running through there with stocked fish, can't recall thee stream name.

While in Helen check out Unicoi Outfitters they will give you the low down on everything