Fly Tying
Ortho Fly

Schlappen for trou

I bought a couple packs of Schlappen hackle by mistake and have never used it to tie flies. I know its webby and not the best quality. Anybody have any ideas on trout flies I can tie with this? Thanks

Schlappen is wonderful, but I use it building tails for poppers; see below. I really haven't used it with other flies.

DSCN4467.jpg

DSCN4468.jpg

DSCN4472.jpg

DSCN4473.jpg

Those r incredible poppers what are the bodies made of.

The bodies are WAPSI Perfect Poppers soft, closed cell foam, and I buy them through J Stockard. I buy them as a kit with the hooks. If you want the soft type, you have to specify that, and usually they have to order those directly from WAPSI. Stockard seems to stock only the hard foam bodies.

I'm working on developing a system where I can shape cork more easily so I can make poppers from cork, but its a little difficult to work with. The preformed bodies are easier and faster.

Ray

Use schlappen where-ever you think that neck or saddle hackle is too stiff, but marabou would be too soft. If ya' think about schlappen in those terms, you'll find that your "mistake" was one of the most advantageous purchases that ya' ever made!

Bowfin47

its a great colloar/throat material for wet flies

strip a side for a cleaner look and you can mix colors as well

yinzrhope2.jpg

yinzrhope1.jpg

use schlappen for tails on woolly buggers, Its a staple for steelhead flies, palmered for BIG woolly buggers,Wing cases and colored ribbing for nymphs. get creative