Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
EzGoing

Metal vs Wooden Base....

Every vise I've ever owned has had a metal base. But, I'm looking at a new vise with a portable wooden base/work station. I'm not sure I want the wood work station/base because it's unfamiliar territory and I can' find an advantage to it. I'm used to a metal base sitting on my tying desk which is my work station. Why do I need a wooden work station on top of another work station? I really want the vise but....

For those of you who have tyed from a [portable] wooden work station and have used a metal base what are the advantages and disadvantages? Tx.

What's the new vise? Most vices all have the same diameter post on them so you could probably buy it without the station and then use your old metal base.

how about a photo or link to this wooden pedestal so we can help you better.

secret decoder ring broken!

Thanks, I never thought of just buying the vise/gooseneck. I guess I could go that route. I have a Dyna-king base. But, I guess I'm a-rententive or particular but, it would be nice to have the base and vise from one and the same company. Still, is there an advantage to a wood base as all the pics on the JVice show? Surely, there's something to it or why wouldn't a metal base come with the [J]vise?

Thanks, I never thought of just buying the vise/gooseneck. I guess I could go that route. I have a Dyna-king base. But, I guess I'm a-rententive or particular but, it would be nice to have the base and vise from one and the same company. Still, is there an advantage to a wood base as all the pics on the JVice show? Surely, there's something to it or why wouldn't a metal base come with the [J]vise?

So, what are you doing with your Dyna-King? Looking to sell it cheap?

Kirk

can you make a dubbing brush with your metal pedestal?

can you hold your tying tools on your metal pedestal? the jvise wooden one acts as a tying bench

can you put your metal pedestal in your lap and still tie flies?

I use a metal base or C-clamp from time to time but Jay's wooden option is aesthetically pleasing and functional as well...

NO regrets!... and the Girlz [Lucy & Dingo] seem to approve of it as well...

IMG_8433.jpg

here's a file photo of the light oak...

Picture2-1.png

I opted for a smooth flat work surface [no bottle/hook/stuff pockets] but included convenient tool caddy holes on the rear edge...

P6161144.jpg

Lucy... 'bring me another Foster's... GOOD GIRL!!!

by the way...

Jay can make the vertical shaft conform to the slightly smaller diameter Euro standard [8mm] or the more robust US standard 3/8" [for us heavy handed tyerz]...

The US standard will fit all the popular platforms out there [DK, HMH, Renzetti, etc]... That's what I've got and it's the waytogo [iMHO]...

My Jay-base is a hundred+ year old hard pear from a barn on the east coast of South Africa north of Durban... 'warm to the touch and a treat for the eyez...

but, the basic oak is hand crafted and a good bet as well... we're talkin' heirloom quality stuff here!

'Tell Jay what you have in mind and he will make it happen!

I have nbr 80 of jvice and it came with the traveling wood base in a briefcase-like bag. I really like it. It sort of keeps what I'm using (tools, materials) sort of in one place while tying.

The JVise wooden base is an eye pleasing and effective way to go...

That being said...

I have also been impressed with a heavy Peak metal base and have put it to good use...

The Peak has several convenient additional accessory posts that accept my light and trimmings dust bin...

Jay kindly supplied me with a standard 3/8" shaft that works well with most all common bases...

PB011686.jpg

PB011691.jpg