Fly Tying
letumgo

Partridge Orange and Swords Soft Hackle

007.JPG

Partridge Orange and Swords

Hook - Mustad Model R50-94840/Size 10

Abdomen - UNI-Stretch (Orange)

Tag/Rib - Sulky Sliver Metallic Tinsel (Silver / No. 145-8001)

Thread - 8/0 UNI-Thread (Black)

Thorax - Five Peacock Sword Fibers (reinforced in thread dubbing loop)

Hackle - Hungarian Partridge (Natural)

Head - Tying thread coated with Sally Hansen's "Dries Instantly" clear nail polish

The photo does not do this fly justice. The peacock sword thorax has a wonderful metallic blue cast to the naked eye.

My wive picked me up a spool of the Sulky tinsel from the local Jo Anne Fabrics. I transferred half of the material onto an empty thread spool. I like how you can mount it in a bobbin and tye with it as you would standard thread. Nifty. After trying it on a couple flies, I am loving this stuff. It is much stronger than I would think it would be for it's size. This stuff seems to be a perfect width for ribs on smaller flies. I just wish it wasn't 5 bucks a spool, otherwise I would by more colors of the stuff. For now I will just stick with silver.

Another terrific fly Ray, like the use of the Uni Stretch. I found a whole bunch of that Sulky Metallic thread on an ebay action for about $10, got 4 different colors. It is fantastic stuff.

Mike

Man, that is awfully nice of you Paul! Thanks, that would be awesome. I will gladly swap you some silver if you don't have any. You would need to send me an empty thread spool, because I just loaded my last one with the silver.

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. ;)

anyone know of a Canadian supplier? Michael's does not carry it, and i REFUSE to pay what the tying suppliers want for their Tiny spools

if your referring to the Sulky Thread check Ebay. Do a search in the "Crafts" category and you should find quiet a few sellers and pretty good prices. That were I found some a few months ago.

Mike

Beautiful fly! As beautiful as the body is, I have to say the coloration of the hackle grabbed me first.

Deeky

Wicked tying as always buddy, perfect proprtions/material choices, a beautiful softie. :D

I've never heard of the sulky tinsel, I'm going to have to try some...