Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrookedHook

South Bend Bamboo Rod Question

Ok, So I go to a flea market that is local here and I find a South Bend Bamboo Rod. It appears to be a fly rod; however, there are regular guides on it which look to be an addition. There are no snake guides. The rod is missing a butt cap and that is about it. The rod its self is in good condition. The # for the rod is worn and I can not make out all the information. Now for the question in mind: Who knows of a 2 piece approx. 7' South Bend Bamboo Rod with regular guides or snake guides? The person wants $22.00 for the rig and I thought of buying it to replace the guides and restore the rod. Is it worth it?

Ok, So I go to a flea market that is local here and I find a South Bend Bamboo Rod. It appears to be a fly rod; however, there are regular guides on it which look to be an addition. There are no snake guides. The rod is missing a butt cap and that is about it. The rod its self is in good condition. The # for the rod is worn and I can not make out all the information. Now for the question in mind: Who knows of a 2 piece approx. 7' South Bend Bamboo Rod with regular guides or snake guides? The person wants $22.00 for the rig and I thought of buying it to replace the guides and restore the rod. Is it worth it?

Well, it's hard to say without looking at it but it could be a 290 model which was one of Southbend's better rods. However, 290's were made with traditional stripper and snake guides. Perhaps someone tried to redo it. If the bamboo itself is in good condition with no laminations, and if it was really a 290, it would certainly be worth $22 as it could be restored.

On the other hand, it could be an old casting type rod and worth very little. Does it feel like a flyrod? Or is it on the stiff side? Keep in mind, they will probably take less for it.

Dave

An intact South Bend 290 should have two sections and the combined length will be right at 7'6". They came with two tip sections. The one I have and the ones I've seen or seen pictures of have a "comficient" grip which is a rounded depression in which the thumb is supposed to rest when being held to cast.

Yeah I think it is a old south bend spinner rod/ fly rod combo. On further inspection I noticed it has a place to screw in a handle in past the reel seat, and a friend of mine said it was probably for a spinner and fly were one can change out the tip sections with either or. It is therefore missing the fly tip section with the snake guides. I think I will pass on it. Thanks for your help. If either of you hear of someone needing what I have explain, let me know and I will try and get it and pass it along for the same price and shipping.

As you guessed most likely it is a fly/spin combo rod, there were a lot of those made out of bamboo back in the 50's/60's and sold not only through sporting goods shops but also even at hardware stores back then. I doubt the other tip had fly guides on it. Most times they just used one set of guides (usually perfection style guides) and the rod would come with two tips as mentioned, but both tips usually were identical. The 2nd was simple a spare as most bamboo rods come with.

I would say to pass it up. The old fly/spin combo rods are normally pretty heavy and not well suited to fly casting very well. Most people that buy them on ebay for $20-$30 usually do so just to use them as "wall hangers" (decoration for the den/cabin).

Steve

My model 59 also has the comficient grip. It was given to me by my father when I was a kid. I'm 64 now. About 30 years ago, I refinished it and took it fishing. In the process of landing a 20 inch brood stock rainbow, the rod broke. I shortened the rod by removing the damaged part and refinished it again. Then I mounted it on a board and put a picture of me and the fish on it along with a plague that reads "The Last Fish of a Grand Old Rod." Then I gave it back to my dad. When he passed away I got it back. It hangs in my office to this day. Lots of important memories.

002-11.jpg