Fly Tying
Perry Poke

Sanibel Island Fla

Hi All,

I will be in Sanibel Island for two weeks starting Feb. 23..... Any advise as to fly fishing areas or your favorite flies would be helpful and appreciated. I will also have my kayak with me.

Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

Mike B

Try the database using the region and species functions. In Feb it may still be a little cool, if not, snook, seatrout, reds, cobia, mackeral, pompano, and a lot of others may be available...I'm sure some of our forum members (still in Florida) will chime in with some local advice (I've been gone from Florida for 6+ years now) :(

Try the database using the region and species functions. In Feb it may still be a little cool, if not, snook, seatrout, reds, cobia, mackeral, pompano, and a lot of others may be available...I'm sure some of our forum members (still in Florida) will chime in with some local advice (I've been gone from Florida for 6+ years now) :(

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm not from down there, but am familiar with the fishing. That area has lots of grass flats where reds will tail. This is thick grass, so a lightly weighted fly (or no weight) with a good weedguard is the best. I've encountered super spooky reds down there that spook at the sight of your line in the air, just be as quiet and cautious as possible when approaching these fish. They should be schooled up this winter, and it may take a nice warm string of days to get them active, but they tend to stay in the same areas. Fish for snook under lighted docks, bridges, or in the backcountry along deep mangrove banks. I like white for snook, try a schminnow. Trout should be around too on deeper flats, they'll hit just about anything if your in them. Hopefully someone from down in that area can add to this, I'm no expert down south, but its an amazing place, you will see some sights and have a great time.

There's only one fly shop on Sanibel if I remember correctly (can't remember its name) but the guy who runs it, Norm Ziegler, (not sure of the spelling) is very helpful from all accounts, so I'd make a point of contacting him and listening carefully to any advice. Winter can be tough in that area since many days will be a lot colder than the fish are comfortable with. I see anglers from that area who've come down to the 'Glades then because the weather in that area can be difficult for shallow water angling. Norm, by the way, is the originator of Norm's Crystal Schminnow. It's become a standard everywhere folks have tried it. The shop I tie for, the Fly Shop of Ft. Lauderdale, orders lots and lots of them every year... Hope this helps

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

I fish Sanibel a lot and will be leaving as you arrive. You are coming at the beginning of Prime Winter Fishing. I wish I could make it in March this year. The Snook population has really took a nose dive after the cold snap a couple years ago. 1)I suggest driving the wildlife drive on the refuge, about 3 miles into it there is a canoe (free) launch site. You can pull off to the right and launch anywhere. An annual pass is $12. I drive the drive slowly and watch for Baby Tarpon rolling on both sides. You can fish the left side of the road from the roadside only. You can access the Bay and the large Mangrove area. You will find lots of Reds, Seatrout and Ladyfish in the area. I fish the Breaks between the Mangroves and the bay. 2)You can also launch at the concessonaire -Tarpon Bay Outfitters. They charge around $7 to launch. You can access the large Tarpon Bay area from there. (Kayak access elsewhere on the Island is extremely expensive and hard to find. Parking anywhere on the island other than the Wildlife Refuge is extremely hard to find.)

I fish spoon flies, copperheads and clousers with a LOT of flash! Throw them up under the mangrove roots and any deep holes you can find.

The BAITBOX is my favorite source of info (coming on the island)and has some fly fishing supplies. Even though they are not exclusively flyshop they know flyfishing and are probably the BEST ,MOST RELIABLE SOURCE OF INFO. There is a Bass Pro also near the Airport.

Wade fishing for Seatrout is available at the Sanibel lighthouse beach- Parking $2 an hour or on the Ft Myers side on the Bridge access road the flats recieve a lot of attention. You can kayak fish at Lovers Key State Park's canals or wade fish the River and beach there. Koresian State Historic Park has the Estero River flowing through it and easy access. Tight lines

I fish Sanibel a lot and will be leaving as you arrive. You are coming at the beginning of Prime Winter Fishing. I wish I could make it in March this year. The Snook population has really took a nose dive after the cold snap a couple years ago. 1)I suggest driving the wildlife drive on the refuge, about 3 miles into it there is a canoe (free) launch site. You can pull off to the right and launch anywhere. An annual pass is $12. I drive the drive slowly and watch for Baby Tarpon rolling on both sides. You can fish the left side of the road from the roadside only. You can access the Bay and the large Mangrove area. You will find lots of Reds, Seatrout and Ladyfish in the area. I fish the Breaks between the Mangroves and the bay. 2)You can also launch at the concessonaire -Tarpon Bay Outfitters. They charge around $7 to launch. You can access the large Tarpon Bay area from there. (Kayak access elsewhere on the Island is extremely expensive and hard to find. Parking anywhere on the island other than the Wildlife Refuge is extremely hard to find.)

I fish spoon flies, copperheads and clousers with a LOT of flash! Throw them up under the mangrove roots and any deep holes you can find.

The BAITBOX is my favorite source of info (coming on the island)and has some fly fishing supplies. Even though they are not exclusively flyshop they know flyfishing and are probably the BEST ,MOST RELIABLE SOURCE OF INFO. There is a Bass Pro also near the Airport.

Wade fishing for Seatrout is available at the Sanibel lighthouse beach- Parking $2 an hour or on the Ft Myers side on the Bridge access road the flats recieve a lot of attention. You can kayak fish at Lovers Key State Park's canals or wade fish the River and beach there. Koresian State Historic Park has the Estero River flowing through it and easy access. Tight lines

Thank you for your info.... I would like to talk to you more in depth as I get closer to leaving... Are you talking about Ding Darling when you mention "wildlife Refuge"? are there any concerns about gators back in there? I really appreciate all the info everyone is sharing... Thank you

I just talked to Norm Ziegler and he was extremely helpful.... I will pay him a visit in the store, buy a shirt or two. He offered to send me in the right direction.... Thanks Norm. Any other info around Pine Island and Sanibel please keep it coming... Thanks

Norm's book on Snook fishing is great and I recommend it. The refuge is Ding Darling. Bring Binoc's with you the birds are wonderful. I haven't SEEN Snook at all last year. In the past, I usually see several and hook into a throwback everyday. I will just Target the Red's and forget Snook for a couple years. The Red's I've caught are mainly in a couple feet of water under the mangroves. I seen very few tailing. I've only seen one gator in the Mangrove area and the flats outside of it in 7 winters. They are fairly benign there. THE GLADES ON THE TAMIAMI ARE A ANOTHER STORY. I wade the flats to fish the "breaks" with current going in and out to the mangroves. My concern is more for Rays. I use a 3ft florocarbon 30LB tippet and fish under the mangrove roots and where ever there is current on a tidal change. Personally, I feel spending time looking for tailers is a waste. I didn't mention that there is an area on the right side of Tarpon Bay that is supposedly good also. Accessed from the Concessionaire.

If the water stays cool at the time of the year you are there, there are some large Sheephead in the area. My wife and I usually get several good meals by fishing a live shrimp along the bottom of the current areas. In moving water they hit it HARD, unlike the folks fishing the pilings. Use a Carolina Rig type system.

Norm's book on Snook fishing is great and I recommend it. The refuge is Ding Darling. Bring Binoc's with you the birds are wonderful. I haven't SEEN Snook at all last year. In the past, I usually see several and hook into a throwback everyday. I will just Target the Red's and forget Snook for a couple years. The Red's I've caught are mainly in a couple feet of water under the mangroves. I seen very few tailing. I've only seen one gator in the Mangrove area and the flats outside of it in 7 winters. They are fairly benign there. THE GLADES ON THE TAMIAMI ARE A ANOTHER STORY. I wade the flats to fish the "breaks" with current going in and out to the mangroves. My concern is more for Rays. I use a 3ft florocarbon 30LB tippet and fish under the mangrove roots and where ever there is current on a tidal change. Personally, I feel spending time looking for tailers is a waste. I didn't mention that there is an area on the right side of Tarpon Bay that is supposedly good also. Accessed from the Concessionaire.

If the water stays cool at the time of the year you are there, there are some large Sheephead in the area. My wife and I usually get several good meals by fishing a live shrimp along the bottom of the current areas. In moving water they hit it HARD, unlike the folks fishing the pilings. Use a Carolina Rig type system.

This is great info...Thank you again..

Sanibel and captiva islands are beatiful,lived there 30 yrs.before moving back to NH. Try the islands to the right when you first get noto the causeway,a short paddle in a kayak. Inhave done well over the years along the mangroves there and also the pot holes on the way over to the island the first Island is fishermans island if i remember correctly try shrimp& crab pattens and clouser's you can ALSO TRY THE BEACH AREA BETWEEN SANIBEL AND CAPTIVA [blind pass],GET THERE EARLY AS the PARKING LOT IS SMALL . DONT FORGET YOU WILL NEED A FLORIDA SALT WATER LICENSE .when you get on the island go right at the 4 way stop the shop is abot i/4 mile on the left.GOOD LUCK AND DON'T FORGET THE SUN SCREEN GEAR!!!!!!

DONT FORGET YOU WILL NEED A FLORIDA SALT WATER LICENSE WHEN FIHING FROM A BOAT.

Now you need one even when fishing from land. If you are a Florida resident then you can get a shore license for free, but if you are non-resident then you will need the non-resident license regardless of whether you fish shore or boat