Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SuperBassAckwardFly

Hello from Flat Rock,MI

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Tom and I live in Flat Rock,Michigan. I've spent most of my fishing time in the past trolling and jigging for walleye in the Detroit river and Lake Erie. Three children later and no big boat found myself a few years back learning different techniques to fish from the shore. I'm a knowledge junkie and enjoy trying to apply what other fisherman are so kindly to teach me. A few years ago I started tying my own wooly buggers to bottom bounce the local river(Huron)because I was tired of the flies only lasting an hour or so before coming undone. A vise and a couple hundred dollars later...lol..then last summer I decided it was time to purchase my first fly rod and instructional video and see what its all about. Tied one of the ugliest flies you would ever see( but it did float!) grabbed some waders and headed to Dexter where the Huron is super clear and waited for the Mayfly spinners to fall. At about the third cast a 12 inch small mouth smashed it. The fish was hooked and so was I on fly fishing and thats all she wrote. I've watched countless videos and enjoy trying to replicate the flies in the step by steps on the forum. I just want to say thanks to the people on here for sharing their know how. Fishing and being out in nature has always been in my blood but this forum has renewed a passion to open my mind,create and just get out there and let it fly.It'll be awhile before I have something worthy to share but I'll be working on it...lol.Attached is my first little fly box I filled with your help. It isn't pretty but I promise to do the creators more justice. :lol:

post-36403-0-49875800-1324094813_thumb.jpg

Welcome! I consider myself a Michigander, although i'm in Toledo. Raised in the Lansing/Wacousta area, and frequently travel to Cadillac / Manton to annoy the Brookies.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of ideas and help here. Don't be shy about asking questions - I'm willing to bet most of the folks here started in much the same way as you - I know I did.