Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JPFLYTYER

wtb LAW VICE

There's no earthly way that it's worth that much money.

Matter of perspective...damascene steel is neither cheap to produce, or easy to work...so although no tying vise may really be 'worth' $3000, I am sure that there is close to that in time/work/material investment in this vise.

There's no earthly way that it's worth that much money.

Matter of perspective...damascene steel is neither cheap to produce, or easy to work...so although no tying vise may really be 'worth' $3000, I am sure that there is close to that in time/work/material investment in this vise.

You should look at the Jvice and see if he has more damasteel jaws available. Probably less than 1,000 with tying table and all.

You should look at the Jvice and see if he has more damasteel jaws available. Probably less than 1,000 with tying table and all.

Agreed...apart from esthetics, there is not really good reason that the rest of the vise be damascene steel, and doing so really ups the cost.

I am a proud LAW owner (Hans helped me get one about 7 years ago), and they are great. The Ekich vise is an incredibly beautiful item too, but even though it has some similarities to the LAW, I think it operates in one very different way. As I recall from tying at the shows and checking out Mr. Ekich's booth, it's designed to hold the hook point within the vise jaws, so that both bend and point are not exposed, whereas the LAW holds hooks by the bend, conventional style. In the LAW, little hooks (12 and under) are easily held in the jaw tips, and larger hooks, from 10 on up to about 7/0, are held in one of two pockets grooved into the jaws. For myself, I cannot tie with the hook point buried in the jaws, and want as much of the hook exposed as possible, whether on a midge or a giant striper fly, but I know others, including Mr. Ekich himself, prefer it the other way. Just something to consider for those considering vises in the stratosphere. There seem to be an increasing number of really great vises out there these days. Used to be Renzetti and LAW, and now you've got the J Vise, C&F Reference (also outstanding and one I use) and a few others. Good luck!

I absolutely love my law vice, I have several other brands that site in drawers. I think you'll find few users willing to let go of their Law's. I know I would never sell mine till I was unable to tie. At the last fly tying show, I was offered $1200 for mine.

you mean to tell me a $3000 vise has pockets machined into the jaws as a crutch to compensate for inadequate hook holding power??? :D :lol: B) By the way, it is against the LAW to use slips of paper with this vise to protect hook finish... you are required to use cut up and folded pieces of a $100 bill.

you mean to tell me a $3000 vise has pockets machined into the jaws as a crutch to compensate for inadequate hook holding power??? :D :lol: B) By the way, it is against the LAW to use slips of paper with this vise to protect hook finish... you are required to use cut up and folded pieces of a $100 bill.

I really enjoyed my LAW vise. One of the best vises ever made. I now use a jvice with the damasteel jaws. Never used paper on either vise.

Merry Christmas!!!

I really enjoyed my LAW vise. One of the best vises ever made. I now use a jvice with the damasteel jaws. Never used paper on either vise. I believe someone said the Ekitch or Ekich vise is the one that costs 3,000. Not sure about that personally. I think I paid about 700 for my LAW about 10-15 years ago and sold it not long ago for 900. I hear they get more than that though. It was a thing of beauty. I wish every tier could afford to own one or a jvice. There is something special about tying on something made so well and so personally.

Merry Christmas!!!