Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
famill00

Zippo Hand Warmer - Opinions?

Do any of you use this zippo hand warmer thing? I got one for Christmas and was wondering if anyone else uses one. Looks pretty cool, but I don't have any fuel for it yet so I haven't tried it out. I think it will be great for spring creek fishing when snow is still on the ground! Opinions?

-Forrest

they work great but be careful not to leak the fuel into your pocket it burns like a midget following you around with a tiki torch plus don't get the fuel on your flies or fly line as damage will occur to the line and scent will stop fish strikes

Wow, didnt know they still made them. Used them for hunting 30 years ago but i always had a hard time keeping them lit. My brother-in-law would light his in the morning, use them all day then drop them in his boots in the evening to dry them out. i would light mine at the same time and it would be out before I got to my stand.

I switched over the the chemical version when they were introduced and havent looked back.

They can get very hot, my cousin put one in a leather pouch inside his jacket and ended up with a burn on his chest. For fishing I would be concerned that they would melt my waders or wading jacket, well not me personally since mine would be out by the time i got to the stream :)

My experience of 30+ years ago is similar to Crotalus'; Used mine duckhunting and the thing didn't really take off until I was in my pickup on the way home. Then it got hotter than hell!! My advise, buy a good pair of gloves!! :rolleyes: