Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

what materiel is this?

was looking at the flies on the llbean website and saw this parachute dry fly. The body material looks pretty cool, it has kind of a olive and brown color to it. Could it possibly two different colors of the material? thanks

post-31787-0-45999900-1325728027_thumb.jpg

Maybe two colors of antron wrapped tightly at the same time? Interesting effect, not sure I've seen a body done quite like that where the abdomen is wrapped so smoothly all the way to the head.

Deeky

Isn't Antron usually fuzzy though? The type I have is at least. It is a cool effect and think it could be a killer fly for when bwos are hatching.

I've created similar looks with silk threads which can be colored in sections before wrapping. Gives an interesting verigated look.

the original post said he was on the llbean website and saw the fly

its blue wing olive dubbing. i have some just like it

might be fly-rite or ligas brand

at work now so i cant see the package

looks like this only in different shades of olive and a little brown mixed in

Well there have been a lot of different answers that all could be possible. I think I may try emailing llbean and see if they will tell me.

Flytire would you mix the two colors before in a coffee grinder or just put them both on the thread.

no. it comes pre-blended in the colors you see in the fly you posted. just dub it on the thread as you normally would

not much else i can tell you so good luck in your search

I looked at the picture closer on the LLBean site and I'm going to stick with my original thought. If it is dubbing, it is a technique I've never seen before. If you look close, all of the strands are lying very flat and are all oriented in roughly the same direction. That's what makes me think it is antron or possibly poly yarn wrapped tight up the shank.

Deeky

so your saying dubbing would not give the same effect?

have you used fly rite dubbing in the past?

i can assure you the fly rite dubbing will achieve the resulsts shown in the photo

fly rite dubbing is a synthetic dubbing and comes in long stranded fibers similar to superfine dubbing

its really not a special technique for applying this dubbing. pull it out of the package, align the fiber with the thread and dub as you normally would. its that simple.

show us some poly yarn in those colors

so your saying dubbing would not give the same effect?

have you used fly rite dubbing in the past?

i can assure you the fly rite dubbing will achieve the resulsts shown in the photo

fly rite dubbing is a synthetic dubbing and comes in long stranded fibers similar to superfine dubbing

its really not a special technique for applying this dubbing. pull it out of the package, align the fiber with the thread and dub as you normally would. its that simple.

show us some poly yarn in those colors

I'm saying I also have fine, long-strand synthetic dubbing and have not had the same super-tight results that this fly shows. This fly shows to be super tight and almost glass smooth, especially for dubbing.

By the way, I have olive antron yarn, just haven't ever picked up brown. My first look for an antron supplier (JStockard) had about every color of antron yarn you could want, including olive and brown. They don't come blended, but if you have worked with antron yarn you know it is easy enough to pull a few fibers out and lay it down with another color, providing a blended effect. I don't have a pic of my antron yarn, but you can either find a pic on JS's site or you could Google it.

Deeky