Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dirk II

List of Ingredients for a tie

I just started tying again after about 30 years of being away from fly fishing and fly tying.

I started easy with my first flies. I fish alot of Steelhead so naturally I thought just an ordinary egg would be first, then maybe a Estaz egg then a Crystal meth. Well these I completed to my satisfaction relatively painlessly. So my next step was some Nymph and Streamer patterns.

Here is where I get frustrated. On almost all of the patterns I am looking to tie (similar to ones I have fished in the past with success) I can find a list of mat'ls to get but the list is very poorly described or lists something that I can't find.

Such as

1) Antron Sparkle Dubbing, color dirty yellow.

I can find the Antron dubbing, and its listed in 40 colors, but no dirty yellow. I'll bet your Idea of dirty yellow and my idea of dirty yellow would be 2 different colors.

2) Black Larva Lace

Apparently Larva Lace is a Company name, they make various items in Black, so what do i get? Angel Hair? Poly Bear? Phat Yarn? Teaser Tinsel? They make dozens of products.

3) Craft Eyes

Wow! talk about Vague, I ask 3 different guys at the fly shop and I get 3 total different answers.

So my point is this, if your going to share a pattern, Great, But please be specific with what you use, a manufactures name, what the manufacture calls it and how about what color the manufacture calls it. I have seen this same thing happen in many other areas. Someone who has been in the field for awhile takes for granted what he knows and assumes everyone else knows the same. BIG Mistake. It's like a Heart Surgeon telling a butcher to "open this guy up, Stat".

So please try to be more specific so us Butchers have a easier chance of heading in the right direction at least.

:lol: I guess I am lucky.... I started tying just a few years ago so the "newer" materials are all I have known. At least with a computer I can research products and with forums like this I can pick more experienced tiers' brains...especially since there are NO fly shops within 100+ miles of me....

when people list larva lace as a material they are talking about the body material here is a link to it http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-537-larva-lace-body-material.aspx Craft eyes usually are either the stick on flat eyes or doll eyes looking at the picture of the fly should help identify any material you have questioned also if you pm the person that posted the fly they will more then likely clarify for you or if you post here like you did with a link to the fly in question one of us could clarify it for you

Guest rich mc

speaking of recipes one thing i didnt find out untilafter i was tying for several years was this. the recipes are written in order of the way they are tied on the hook. thats why the hook in the vise is always first. rich mc

I started tying after many years away just like you. All the new stuff was mind boggling. I just watch the forum and ask a question here and there. I do a lot of substituting and I very little hackle but I don't fish trout either and I use a lot of hair. Both natural and synthetic. Materials listed in the order of tie in is a big help.

:lol: I guess I am lucky.... I started tying just a few years ago so the "newer" materials are all I have known. At least with a computer I can research products and with forums like this I can pick more experienced tiers' brains...especially since there are NO fly shops within 100+ miles of me....

This is way off topic and I hope you don't mind me asking, but what state do you live in that there isn't a single one for that distance? But with what you said above, I plan on doing the exact same thing

Dirk, you're correct about colors, unless it's a material that is specified by a brand & corresponding item, stock or color number, it's best to just use your judgement. We'll all see the same color a bit differently, and describe it as we see it. It could be worse.

Antron is a type of synthetic fiber, and is used for many things, including yarns, fabrics & carpet. Again, what you see may not be what someone else sees. The term "Sparkle" could be interpreted differently too. Some brands of dubbing may have another material included that adds that "sparkle", such as a fine mylar "tinsel" or Flashabou, while others may just be the natural shine of the Antron fiber used. I think whenever you find this kind of description, keep in mind what the intended use of the fly might be & select what best fits. For example, if it's a Steelhead pattern, it could be either, while a trout pattern you might not want to be too flashy. However, it could be either or both, and that may just be a personal preference.

Just like when cooking, a recipe may not be absolute, so you may find that substituting a similar material works just as well, and sometimes better.

Also, materials such as Antron, are not produced exclusively for fly tying. Most of the materials we use are not, and are produced for other industries, then repackaged, often under various brand names. You could possibly buy different brands of Antron dubbing with un-similar descriptive names, yet they could all be the same material or blend of material. Such names are for marketing only.

When I first started tying, 47 years ago, I tied known patterns based on whatever recipe was available & whenever I could not positively identify a material, I improvised & substituted based on what I saw, as long as there was a picture available. Fact is, I can't recall any pattern that didn't catch fish because I didn't use the exact materials specified in the original recipe.

Do the best you can but don't let it frustrate you! Tying should be enjoyable! :)

This is way off topic and I hope you don't mind me asking, but what state do you live in that there isn't a single one for that distance? But with what you said above, I plan on doing the exact same thing

I am in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Beautiful fishing for trout and Atlantic salmon, but there are NO shops until you get onto mainland Nova Scotia....and very few then :lol: