Fly Tying
mfs686

Wright & McGill Fly Rod

Hoping someone here can give me a little history on a bamboo fly rod that was given to me. It was built by The Wright & McGill Rod Company in Denver Colorado. It was given to me by my father from a friend of the family who passed away some years ago. If I was to guess an age I would say somewhere in the 1950's.

post-37540-0-87750000-1326664202_thumb.jpg

Well, That's a very nice gift. The Wright & McGill/Granger rods were very popular in their day.

Here is some information: Goodwin Granger/ Wright & McGill history

Thanks....I'm going to dig out one of my old Shakespeare reels and take it out for one trip. Any idea what weight line I would use?

Hey MFS,

I have a Wright and McGill 4 pc "trailmaster" 7 1/2 feet long. Mine is not a bamboo; however, like yours it is very old. Mine is a 7 weight. Do you have any markings on the rod? On the Wright McGill I have, it shows the line weight directly under the lable on the rod. Usuall states: "Line 5,6,7, etc". Shoot man, grab a couple of old reels ya got (if you have any) and put different weights on each and try it. I am sure it is prob. between the 5-7 area. Good luck and let us know what happens.

I checked and no marks or writing. The only markings are on the reel seat. Unfortunately the label on the carrying case has worn off and I can't make anything out.

There are collectors/experts out there that could identify your rod from the length and wrappings etc. and suggest a line weight to try. It probably originally used the old letter line weight system. You might get more information on the classic fly rod forum: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/