Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrzyMtnMan

The Brassie

I have been anxious to tye this fly since I started. It is not something that I would personally, based on spin fishing, see catching a fish, but it looked pretty neat. Forgot about it for a while, then a buddy of mine brought one to me to see. Based on the books I thought this fly would be larger, when I saw the size I had to come home and give it a try. I learned a few things last night in this attempt, small does not always mean small wire as you can see in the first two on the top. I have a hard time working the wire and keeping the thread bobbin seperate, ended up propping the bobbin on a tackle box while I worked the wire. I attempted to use peacock herl as well. Many new items actually made this a challenge, I learned alot, and can not wait to give these a shot on the water.

post-35792-0-08699100-1326937569_thumb.jpg

Hello CrzyMtnMan

Brassies are a great fly to tie and use. You will want to work on smoothing out the bodies and shortening your thoraxes quite a bit. Also with pea cock hurl tie the tips of the hurl as opposed to the butt ends. Also if you can get the hurl that is located right below the eye on a pea cock feather, they are much bushier. When tying in wire try to tie the wire in on the far side of the hook than wrap it forward in touching wraps. You can also just hold the wire at the bend of the hook and wrap it forward without tying it in.

Make sure you coat your wire with some head cement as this will help stop the wire from tarnishing.

This is a link to one of the brassies I tie and fish using two sizes of wire. I find from size 12 - 18 work well.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern12129.html

Check out these steps.

http://copperfly.net/brassie.php

I will coat any fly that has a wire body to help keep its shine and to stop the wire from tarnishing. All I use is one small dab of thin head cement.

I have been anxious to tye this fly since I started. It is not something that I would personally, based on spin fishing, see catching a fish, but it looked pretty neat. Forgot about it for a while, then a buddy of mine brought one to me to see. Based on the books I thought this fly would be larger, when I saw the size I had to come home and give it a try. I learned a few things last night in this attempt, small does not always mean small wire as you can see in the first two on the top. I have a hard time working the wire and keeping the thread bobbin seperate, ended up propping the bobbin on a tackle box while I worked the wire. I attempted to use peacock herl as well. Many new items actually made this a challenge, I learned alot, and can not wait to give these a shot on the water.

I love Midge fishing and Brassies are my favorite, I tie them in #20 and #22 and I like to use black or brown ostrich instead of peacock to get a more leggy look, also like the glass bead heads!! I'll have to try coating my wire with polish to stop the tarnish.. Great Idea shown is #22 brown wire Brassie

PB2500015.jpg

Using a head cement or sally hansons clear nail polish will indeed stop your flies from tarnishing. However I always carry about a dozen brassies with me in my nymph box and only half are covered to prevent the wire from tarnishing. The other half i encourage to tarnish as it takes on a realistic colour and isn't shiny. I have six shiney brassies and have had to repeadly replace the tarnished ones over the past few years while fishing for big brown trout on southern ontario's (Canada) Grand river. They don't even look at the shiny brassies but nail the tarnished ones, and the more chewed the peacock the more they strike the flies. Suckers and smallmouth bass like the tarnished ones well over the polished shiny ones.

Peace

nindja

Boy I have a lot to learn :D