Fly Tying
Crotalus

Finally tried some mice

Thanks Scud, in the case of the SBS mouse, the color is tan with black tips and a grayish underfur. That having been said, I use a lot of different colors, black for dark nights, bone when the moon is full and I use the white for my all time favorite river streamer pattern. I like the one that

I gave the demo on for dawn and dusk.

Thanks. I bought some today at ac moore. It is brown. They also have black and white. When I get the hang of it I'll buy different colors.

I use such a wide range of hook sizes because I tie this fly from two to ten inches long. I usually step two sizes between the smaller rear and larger forward hook. The largest I use on this fly is a 1/0.

Picked up some craft fur today. Went to Joann's. They only had it on the large bolts, had them cut me a 6" strip, 6' long, cost me $2.50.

Edit - after using the Joann fur it became apparent that the fibers are too short and there is too much under fur. Will be ordering some different fur.

Crotalus and Scud, I'm sure what you bought will work just fine. I have tried several types and settled on this one in particular. If you get a chance, check the SBS and

look at the label on the shot that shows the fur bolts. If

you get a chance, compare that with what you bought...may be the same stuff, might not be. Love to see your creations with the material...please post when you get a chance. Maybe we can share some ideas to fine tune these critters. I'm all about a collaborative effort.

I was looking for that brand but couldn't find it locally. Each of the colors I got has a different texture, tried the grey/white combo tonight and didnt care for it. Will try the others this weekend, if they dont work well I will go on the hunt again.

My flies are still looking pretty rough, all relatively new techniques for me - spinning/trimming deer hair, articulated flies and the craft fur.

Give me some ideas on the parts that are being difficult and I can shoot more specific pics of the step for you. Also, if you can't find the right material, I can send you some.

Nothing is overly difficult, just new. Will take me a few flies to get them right.

I found the fur that you use online, I was just too impatient, wanted to get started last night rather than waiting for the fur to be delivered :)

Here are two, dont judge the colors, just working with the materials I have, will be getting more soon.

On the grey one I forgot to add the craft fur at the end of the front hook.

The tan one was tied with longer shank hooks, i think i like them better.

post-1597-0-27953800-1329052333_thumb.jpg

Great first effort, it's tough if the materials lack the necessary length to bridge gaps. That's one of the reasons

I like the "stick", I can tie materials directly to the mason so ther are no gaps between sections or hooks. Keep up the great work. I like your modification of spun deer head instead of foam. I would suggest tying a couple with the foam disks, they cast farther, shed water faster, and

never saturate so you don't have to swap them for a dry one.

Planning to try the foam disks and possibly a foam popper head.. Will also be trying the stick method as well. I like to try different things then mix and match to find a combo that works and I can tie well and efficiently.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, they are appreciated.