Fly Tying
Perry Poke

Mullet On A Fly

Fellow Fly Fishers,,, I heard about this and actually caught one last year on a fly and I saw it done on Utube. Now I want to dial in on this for sport. So, anybody who has tried this please share some advise with me. What flies would be recommend and, if any, technique would you suggest. Where I am going there hundreds of mullet that pass through along the rip rap. Thank you for any advise you share with me.

A cast net would make things easier......

Just kidding. I caught one last year on a crawfish pattern. It was on a size 2 gamakatsu B10S hook. You need 4 hackle feathers a pair of bead chain and thread. I splayed 2 hackle tips for claws, then palmered the other 2 up to the bead chain that was tied right behind the hook eye. Hope this helps.

Im interested to see how you do! Make sure to take some pics! I fish the areas near where you mentioned in previous post at least a few times a year. I remember being surrounded by mullet on more then one occaision. I was also thinking a carp fly may work. I tie one called the headstand. It is supposed to mimic vegetation. Here is a link to the pattern

Used to tie some mullet flies for guys to fish along docks and such. just some white spun deer hair clipped top and bottom on a size 12 hook to imitate bread. seems all the people in the area would come down and feed the ducks and fish with bread..