Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

shop flies, Swamp rabbits

Still working on tarpon flies for the shop, delivered these today. I wrote an article with a SBS for this series (I do them in three addtional colors, black/purple, fl. green/grizz, and grizzly brown. Here's the link to the article with pics on how to...

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/techniques/fly-recipies/swamp-rabbit

This particular tarpon pattern is one of Umpqua Feather Merchants lineup so any shop can order them (and I get a tiny, tiny royalty)

Only 20 more dozen to go....

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-94136100-1328999856_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-77118900-1328999872_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-57750600-1328999904_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-19116000-1328999926_thumb.jpg

Awesome flies, Capt. I also sometimes like to tie in bucktail under rabbit strips. I find it helps stop fouling

To put it mildly I just don't like the mono loop that most use with rabbit strip tails... a sparse amount of bucktail laid down first serves the same purpose while also adding a bit o bulk and substance to that rabbit...

I only found one typo in the article on the tying sequence. It should read, complete the thread head, then super glue and allow to dry before painting the eyes... The glue not only hardens the head, and locks everything permanently - it also seals the thread to prep if for paint... Otherwise the paint spreads out as it's absorbed by the thread, ruining the nice clean edges you look for in painted eyes.

In the tarpon world that red/black combination has always been called Black Death... I use it in more tradiitonal tarpon flies as well.