Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
largemouthTLOCD

Congo hair

Yeah Panama Red. I love it here and the fishing is great. I don't have to much experience fishing for reds (grew up bass fishing mostly). Caught plenty of small reds under the slot as kid biggest one I ever caught was 27". When we did go we would get into the trout and my sister wouldn't want to leave. Now I can drive and have a kayak so I'm starting to go out their more often and I love it. Their is no doubt that their are plenty of redfish here. A little while back we saw some bull reds schooling just before dark near Haulover canal. They were all over the slot but I was busy trying to unhook about a 23" gator trout without getting a treble hook in my hand. Haven't seen them do that again but I hope I do.

agn54 I live just North of Titusville so I usually fish the very North end of IRL towards Haulover Canal. Never fished south of the Titusville bridge.

I just got back from spending 2 months in NSB. I caught lots of trout on the fly but I was in need of a watercraft. If I had found a Kayak to fish from it would have more interesting. I fished mostly in the Turtle Mound area. You are in fishing heaven down there. There is a good Fly Fishing Club in NSB that seems to be very active. I think they said that there is 90 members. I found it late in my visit and I would join if I spent more time down there. The meet at the FOP grounds on the 2nd and 3rd Mondays of each month. They also give casting lessons each Sat. at an Edgewater city park on 30th street.

Hey ditz2. Never been up that way to fish much. I do some shrimping up that way but not quite to new smyrna. Next time I go shrimping im bringin my flyrod though. the fish feed like crazy on the full moon up there when the shrimp are running. Mostly big ladyfish which are fun but their are definitely redfish, trouts and jacks mixed in.

Hey ditz2. Never been up that way to fish much. I do some shrimping up that way but not quite to new smyrna. Next time I go shrimping im bringin my flyrod though. the fish feed like crazy on the full moon up there when the shrimp are running. Mostly big ladyfish which are fun but their are definitely redfish, trouts and jacks mixed in.

If I ever get back down there for a 'stay' again I will have a Kayak, if not a Ganoe. Flats boats seemed to be the ride of choice for the fishermen but I would think a ganoe would be a good option. Lower price, cheaper to operate and maintain, easier to tow, easier launch and take out. A watercraft is really needed in the area.

Yeah kayaks are great. You can throw them in the back of your truck and you don't even need a boat ramp. They are also very quiet which is great for getting close to tailing reds. I have a kayak and a ganoe. The ganoe is great when I have someone with me and when their is no wind. Other than that kayaks are my favorite.

Also one thing I have learned is the double wrap where you wrap it around the thread then tie it in, I used to do it piece by piece but wrapping it around the thread is the way to go, I am about to do a how to bait fish minnow, it is incredibly easy and literally from start to finish can be tied in 2 mins