Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jayvansickle

Fly Fishing West Palm Beach Florida in April

I have never fly fished the ocean. I hope to try some surf fishing with my 8 weight rod (hope that's enough rod). What kind of flies would I need? What length and weight leaders should I use. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

I have never fly fished the ocean. I hope to try some surf fishing with my 8 weight rod (hope that's enough rod). What kind of flies would I need? What length and weight leaders should I use. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

It may be a little early for snook on the beach, but you could still score near the inlets. All white flies are most popular. DT special, all white clousers, deceivers, etc. The Eat Me fly made with Supre Hair is a popular one as well. The water is usually VERY clear, especially in the north PB area, almost like the Bahamas. There may be some straggler bluefish around then as well and certainly plenty of jack. For snook, cast parallel to the shore, for blues, jacks etc, you can cast straight out. 8 wt is plenty. 9ft tapered leader with 30# flouro tippet. You could try to go longer leader and/or lighter tippet in the clear water but you will get broken off a lot. I haven't fished down there in a while so some locals could probably give you better advice.

Thank you for the info. I am really looking forward to fishing the surf. Hope to maybe get a Surf Perch if they are around.

what time in april are you going to be down that way??? i want to try just straight surf fishing i dont think me and using a fly on the surf is a viable thing as of yet but what is the minimum rod you can use on surf flying?

what time in april are you going to be down that way??? i want to try just straight surf fishing i dont think me and using a fly on the surf is a viable thing as of yet but what is the minimum rod you can use on surf flying?

I will be there around March 30th. My first time in the surf. I will be using my Orvis 8 weight.