Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewP

Deadhead Minnow

Found this tie from a guy in Louisiana; what I liked about it was it creates a nice round-headed profile unlike most of my ties that are more profile-oriented. He calls it a "Deadhead Minnow".

Materials: Craft fur and flash of your choice

Hook: 2 to a 1/0, regular shank, your choice

Eyes: Stick-on eyes

Secret Ingredient: Fabric Glue

Tie Steps:

1) Create tail of fly using craft fur, then add some flash.

2) Create dubbing loop of craft fur, spin onto shank up to eye.

3) Tie off, brush back fur to get round profile

4) Apply fabric glue to head of fly; let dry for 24-36 hrs before using

The secret is the fabric glue which creates and hold the round head effect. It's soft like silicone, but easier to apply and washes up with water.

Samples:

2036976130049956418S500x500Q85.jpg

2968950390049956418S500x500Q85.jpg

Head on view ....

2874362210049956418S500x500Q85.jpg

Site link for pattern: http://caseysmartt.com/2010/08/01/tying-the-deadhead-minnow/

AP

Looks good Andrew - hey, what's the brand name on the craft glue? Sounds like it might be fun to fool around with. I usually make more of a mess with silicone than it's worth.

Looks good Andrew - hey, what's the brand name on the craft glue? Sounds like it might be fun to fool around with. I usually make more of a mess with silicone than it's worth.

From the link..."Skin: Tulip Glitter dimensional fabric paint"....I had to see how this 'cigar shape' was accomplished too. I think this technique with some markers to color correctly , a baby mullet would be perfectly imitated for big Reds , Trout, Snook ....etc... ;)

Found this tie from a guy in Louisiana; what I liked about it was it creates a nice round-headed profile unlike most of my ties that are more profile-oriented. He calls it a "Deadhead Minnow".

Materials: Craft fur and flash of your choice

Hook: 2 to a 1/0, regular shank, your choice

Eyes: Stick-on eyes

Secret Ingredient: Fabric Glue

Tie Steps:

1) Create tail of fly using craft fur, then add some flash.

2) Create dubbing loop of craft fur, spin onto shank up to eye.

3) Tie off, brush back fur to get round profile

4) Apply fabric glue to head of fly; let dry for 24-36 hrs before using

The secret is the fabric glue which creates and hold the round head effect. It's soft like silicone, but easier to apply and washes up with water.

Site link for pattern: http://caseysmartt.com/2010/08/01/tying-the-deadhead-minnow/

AP

I like this fly! Thanks for the link!

Youtube has a video of how he applies the Tulip glue. But I had no directions for the fly itself, until now that is. Markers can give you some intersting colors too.

Thanks,

Rocco

You dont need tulip glue if you have CCG, CCG flex or brushable can get the same shape and takes markers well

Very interesting. One question I would have is just how flexible is this stuff? If you're going to fill that much of the hook gape, it would have to be pretty soft. At the very least, it's a good excuse to do some poking around the craft stores. I haven't bought any materials in at least 24 hours, and I'm starting to feel antsy.

Very interesting. One question I would have is just how flexible is this stuff? If you're going to fill that much of the hook gape, it would have to be pretty soft. At the very least, it's a good excuse to do some poking around the craft stores. I haven't bought any materials in at least 24 hours, and I'm starting to feel antsy.

I use Aleene's fabric craft glue. Its pretty flexible, depending on how thin you spread it. Its squishy like a tube jig after. The great thing is the stuff is really cheap the down side is you need to wait 24 hours for it to dry.

Looks like a Siliclone to me. Try Bob Pops way...the silicone head makes it soft and squishy which does not interfere with hook up. Using CCG or other UV resins would make this fly too hard and lose the enticement of the fly! Silicone can be messy, but using photo-flo or mineral spirits will smooth that head right out and make clean up a cinch!

Not CCG flexible! Thats the whole point of using the CCG flexible, it makes it soft like silicone! Trust me on this, i use to use silicone all the time and its a pain. CCG flexible has the same feel as silicone - it is simple to work with and dries in 15 seconds with the light

Looks like a Siliclone to me. Try Bob Pops way...the silicone head makes it soft and squishy which does not interfere with hook up. Using CCG or other UV resins would make this fly too hard and lose the enticement of the fly! Silicone can be messy, but using photo-flo or mineral spirits will smooth that head right out and make clean up a cinch!

Sean, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I think Photo-flo is history. (Haven't you heard about the digital revolution LOL?) Seriously, Photo-flo is just a wetting agent - a little dishwashing detergent in water will do the trick just as well. (It also works on photographic negatives if you're one of the three people on Mother Earth who still use film.) BTW - A friend of mine uses silicone instead of epoxy on Ultra-shrimp type patterns to get rid of the "plasticky" look and feel of the original - I'll bet that Tulip stuff might be worth a try instead of silicone. Just a thought.

I haven't bought any materials in at least 24 hours, and I'm starting to feel antsy.

I feel ya here Peterjay! It seems if I am not buying something, I am making a list of things to buy. Then while making the list I get ambitious and start ordering. And of course when I am ordering things half of the stuff I am ordering isn't on the list. :blink:

Its a vicious cycle!

I haven't bought any materials in at least 24 hours, and I'm starting to feel antsy.

I feel ya here Peterjay! It seems if I am not buying something, I am making a list of things to buy. Then while making the list I get ambitious and start ordering. And of course when I am ordering things half of the stuff I am ordering isn't on the list. :blink:

Its a vicious cycle!

Yeah, but isn't it fun? I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve whenever I know there's a package on the way. Besides, compared to what people spend on other pursuits, fly tying is cheap.