Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

Nutria Flies

The gaurd hairs are wicked, this stuff looks great in the water. Looking forward to fishing them next week.

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Man, that is some buggy-looking rat fuzz. I saw some pelts for sale yesterday, but I can't remember where or how much. I've gotta start bookmarking this stuff.

Thanks for the tip Dave. The site is temporarily down, but I'll keep an eye on it. I'm a big fan of lifetime supplies. (LOL) I just bought the equivalent of a whole sheepskin with pure white 3-5 inch hair. I'm not happy with the colors available, so I thought I'd try my hand at dyeing. Either that or I've lost my mind completely. If I have, I don't miss it none.

Dave, those flies look fishy for sure nice ties.

However, when I read the post topic "Nutria Flies" I wondered if you were looking for flies to catch nutria with kind of like when people ask about Bass Flies.

I see that isn't the case, but I'll answer anyway; any fly without a weedguard to snag them with and a rod tube to subdue them once at the boat.

Kirk

P3190018.jpg

My friend had to do the glam shot holding the flyrod in mouth to free both hands to hold the catch.

P3190019.jpg

Hey Kirk, the least you could have done was to offer some advice as to what kind of gear is most suitable for nutria fishing. (Or is it rodenting?) I'd hate to show up for a nutria tournament with a 12wt and be laughed off the docks.

Hey Kirk, the least you could have done was to offer some advice as to what kind of gear is most suitable for nutria fishing. (Or is it rodenting?) I'd hate to show up for a nutria tournament with a 12wt and be laughed off the docks.

8wt is fine, good thing you asked. If you catch it with a fishing rod, its still just fishin'. You see, I think its in us to catch something when we're out there. The sight fishing for the redfish was slow that day, and here comes a nutria swimming across the pond - what is a man to do? you've got to cast to it, right? You may know better, but you still do it. I've done it on several occassions with baby gators and garfish - I know I'm gonna lose the fly but I still have to make that cast.

Kirk

I understand completely; sometimes, you just gotta go for it. Down your way, it's nutria - up here, it's tourists on JetSkis. I prefer heavily weighted flies, but sometimes the window of opportunity opens and closes so fast that I just have to go with whatever's already tied on there.

I want to go fishing with you guys! My buddy grew up in Slidell and Picayune, he preferred the lead to the head method :D

I saw Andrew Zimmer eat one on T.V., what say you Kirk...Fried or sautéed?

I want to go fishing with you guys! My buddy grew up in Slidell and Picayune, he preferred the lead to the head method :D

I saw Andrew Zimmer eat one on T.V., what say you Kirk...Fried or sautéed?

Never had it either way. I had it pounded out and rolled with veggie stuffing and cut in to pinwheels and sauce piquante and both were good. Alligator I've had fried and liked it that way but never one that I had caught.

That nutria as food never did take off very well. After that failed campaign, the LDWF enacted a $1 per tail bounty (I know that's a dirty word lately around the Who'Dat Nation but...)on nutria to try and reduce their numbers.

Kirk

Gourmet swamp rat...I'd eat it! THE best thing I have ever eaten in the great state of Louisiana has to be turtle over rice with gravy, was impressive.

We also ate at the possum festival once, and only once...I don't recommend it.

Hell, I thought all you boys down there enjoyed a good possum dinner. Maybe you just don't know how to prepare them properly. What we do up here in Yankeeland is pile up a bunch of charcoal in the grill, pour about a quart of starter fluid on it and fire that sucker up. Jump back from the flames a step or two, grab your possum by the tail and whack him over the head with a stainless steel saucepan. If he's still wiggling, whack him again. Once you're sure your possum's deceased, toss him right on the grill and close the cover. It's important to get this done before the flames die down - that way, the hair will burn right off and the starter fluid will add extra flavor. It'll also seal in the juices and the critter will cook in its own grease. When the smoke stops pouring out, give it another 15 minutes or so and lift the cover. If the eye's turned a pale, milky blue, the meat will be blood rare - if the eye's turned and the tail's also curled up in a nice tight spiral, that'll be medium. (I've been told that in certain less sophisticated parts of the country, possums are eaten well done, but we're far too civilized in these parts to engage in such barbaric practices.) Anyway, pick up a serving platter with your left hand, and using your right hand, grab your possum by the tail. Pull slowly and steadily, and the critter will slide right out of its skin and onto the platter. All that's left now is to spoon out the guts for giblet gravy, and you're done. Serve with boiled turnips and okra fried in plenty of lard. A nice touch would be to present your possum at the table with a Brussels Sprout in its mouth and a lima bean in each eye socket. When you've got all this down pat, remind me to pass along Grandma's secret recipe for black snake kabobs. Bon appetit!

here in michigan we run them over with our trucks that way the guts are already out of them when we toss them on the grill

ill try grams black snake any day she wants to make it cause i ate rattler out west the bones were bad but the meat was tasty

I prefer my possum when it has just walked out from inside a rotten beef carcus. It is slightly more tender that way.