Fly Tying

I caught this fish and half a dozen others in the same range (+ or - a couple inches) in 3 hours several weeks ago on a local tailwater on #24-26 midges as people were leaving left and right complaining about how there were no fish in the river. When I asked what they were using they all pretty much said the same standard 20-22 patterns typically used on the river throughout the year. Just goes to show that on certain waters when the fishing is "off" sometimes going micro can produce huge. the best part about tying micro is once you figure it out the patterns are super simple and way effective.

post-22999-0-57378600-1333613588_thumb.jpg

I thought tying REALLY small was a UK thing;

http://smallflyfunk.blogspot.com/

Most Western waters that I fish are tail waters with an enormous number of Midges in the biomass. On this particular river, small and deep are the consistent methods for getting into fish...

DADSTONEEW-2-.jpg

East Walker River, Bridgeport, CA...

PT/TB ;)

I thought tying REALLY small was a UK thing;

As if to back up my original thread, this months Trout and Salmon magazine Paul Proctor (vice president wild trout trust and renowed fly tyer it says) has a 3 page article bestowing the black gnat hatch and gives 4 example patterns. size 18-14 recommended. Not even a mention of anything smaller.

I have a brook that runs right by my house, literally hop the fence and you're on the bank, that in certain deeper pools have some beautiful trout, not very big, but on an ultra light setup, with a tiny fly, are immense fun

Just adding my own version of nonsense. I have found that when I lived in Upstate NY and fished from April to October Midges were less of an issue and I did very well with size 22 and larger. Occasionally I would venture below that but as a rule it wasn't needed. Most of the time during the regular trout season there were plenty of larger bugs to occupy the trouts interest. Now that I live where the season is open all year I find midges are very plentiful in my boxes. I tend to use short shanked hooks though instead of going down to a proper 26, I tie on a 22 2x short.

It is me belief that if midges are coming off in large enough numbers the fish will ignore a larger bug that is fewer in number. It boils down to getting the most food with the least effort. A midge is very vulnerable during the emergence where a Caddis is not so vulnerable.

With regards to the Black Fly article, that size correlates directly to how big those nasty little snots are.

Paul

I can tie a winged Catskill dry down to #28. They make great gifts and truly impress those you want to impress. I agree that on well fished waters they may be all that stands between you and dispair. I have observed tricos, BWO's, small quills and sulphur hatches where trout were crazy....just for small. A tiny dry fly is true artistry. What I don't get are these size 20 and 22 midge pupae fished underwater. It feels like the emperor's new clothing. Unless I see others catching, give me a size 8 Thunder Creek Black Nose Dace.