Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fshrmanms

Few Poppers

Wavy, thanks for the tips. I've heard/read about moisture traps but thought it might just be something else they said I had to have to take my money. It sounds like I might have to try one.

Fshr, good tips; especially the one with the hose on the tip to backflow. I've tried putting a towel over the tip but don't get that much back pressure and once I bent my needle. That may be the ticket.

I've got a lure making book and the guy uses lacquer paints; after dealing with water based acrylics and water clean up I don't know how he does it. The acetone/thinner must be a nightmare to deal with.

Thanks,

Kirk

Createx paint is already thinned to use in airbrushes as it is. Any more thinner will results in poor paint job. Learning how to use airbrush will take plenty of practice and time but the double actions are much better system.

I have been doing poppers for about two years now. Love to make them. I am curious about the hook you use for the shad popper. Most of the poppers I make I just epoxy the hooks into a groove in the bottom. But the longer bodied poppers are too long for even a 3X hook. I have resorted to "tube fly" type of arrangement on the longer bodied poppers, but really not too happy with it.

Hence my question about hook size and length.

Thanks.

I personally don't care for using water based paints in my airbrushes. Mostly 1Shot Sign enamels.

When using any of the urethanes I get the slowest reducer I can from a auto paint supply store. I also keep a bottle with nothing but reducer in it and blast it through between colors or before a break if I need to sit it down for a minute.

ov10fac, the hook used in the shad came with one of those wapsi kits, believe it is the size 2 saltwater body