Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Flies for the weekend

just yesterday i watched my friends on the big man tear them up on a small blue egg/wetfly.

something to think about blue isnt a popular color in michigan

Colour and fish, anyone read What Fish See by Colin Kageyama? I found it interesting but can't say it has made a huge impact on my fishing.

my friend randy read it said he would loan it to me but never did

he thought what he read justified why my favorite streamer colors worked based on my river but like i said i havent read it

Caught my first fish or 2012 last night. A nice cock sea trout around 2-3lb. released to get up river and spawn. Took a blue zulu in #12. I'll post a pick of the fly later hopefully. These flies are considered mandatory for seatrout by some in the UK. Do you try them for steelhead over there?

Hopefully have a pic up later with a shot of a varient I'm calling a zulu chief, just a bit more bling.

Right I've posted some pics here of my fly and some variants of the same. Looking into it a bit more, it appears some writers say that a red tag with a longer softer hackle IS a zulu. Older UK books would say that zulu has to be palmered with a cock hackle, ribbed and a softer hackle at the head, not too long. All I know is that either way catches and the ones with a wee length of flash in are another change. I prefer my zulu un-palmered as the water is shallow and clear and I want a more subtle look. The palmered ones are great in a wave. The pics are size 12 long shank and 14 normal length. cakes010.jpgcakes006.jpgcakes004.jpg