Fly Tying
MrFlyFisherGuy

Bull/Brown Trout Streamer Swap

June 1 deadline is fine with me, I would love to do a second set but right now i just dont have the time to get the extras done. I am really looking forward to seeing everyones flies!

Evan

PROPOSAL DEFEATED. Kevin was trying to be super nice and helpful by filling out our slots, but he really doesn't have time since he has life in addition to other swaps already on his plate. We thank him for his willingness. But the swap should still be succesful (hey, look at the photos!) without adding unnecessary stress to his life.

SO: We will hold to our original due date, 25 May*. If you find that you will have problems meeting this due date, please PM me.

Thank you.

Jimboha!

*The 25th happens to be my wife's birthday - all those packages coming to my mailbox will surely confuse her. She will not be able to guess what I ordered for her!

Here's a picture of the JJ's (brown and gold (Go Pokes)) and the skittering smolt almost to flashy to get a good picture but here's what they're going to look like hopefully you guys enjoy these as much as I do.

post-35462-0-60265500-1336882087_thumb.jpg

post-35462-0-16016800-1336882102_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture of the JJ's (brown and gold (Go Pokes)) and the skittering smolt almost to flashy to get a good picture but here's what they're going to look like hopefully you guys enjoy these as much as I do.

Oh, yeah, look good. (The pictures are a little small, but I get the impression.)

The skittering smolt, which you say is doing well in Montana, would that be in rivers/streams or lakes? Or both/either? In either case, I;m sure we will enjoy them as much as you do, especially if they catch fish!

Jimboha!

T-minus 10 days and counting.

Well, folks, it looks like things are mostly on track for the upcoming swap due date.

*I have received some flies.

*I have been told by 2 swappers that they have sent their flies

*Another 3 that will be sending in the next day or two, and

*Another is on track to get them done soon.

I haven't heard recently from one swapper, but I have PMed with him early on and he is quite experienced with the whole swap thing and should be on track; I suspect he is out of town on a business/fishing trip so we haven't heard.

There's another swapper that I have PMed with in the past, but haven't heard much lately, but I think we're OK.

I myself finished my Rapid Muddlers and was then inspired to take on a second set to help fill out our numbers (and to get doubles myself!) I was going to keep it a surprise, but I'll tell you that I tied up some Mickey Fin streamers in size #8. I can tell you that they work: I hooked in to a large trout yesterday with one, but due to equipment issues, I let him throw the hook. I guess I was practicing the new stress-reduced catch-and-pre-release technique. :rolleyes:

Here's my address in case you didn't notice it on the swap announcement post:

Jim Hewitt

1230 N. Vineyards Ave

Meridian, ID 83642-4345

When you do send, could you either make post here or PM me so I can know to watch for them. Thanks - you guys (and gals) have been wonderful swappers and tiers. I want to thank you all for jumping in to this my first swap so readily and for tying such wonderful flies. I hope that you have been as excited by the photos as I have and I expect we all will be thrilled to actually see the flies in a couple weeks. :)

I would also like to see some reports come back after the swap is completed and we're actually fishing with them. Perhaps we can have an informal competition to see which fly catches the most fish during the summer. And the tier of the winning fly would get, um, hmm, well, certainly bragging rights! All in fun - I still get a kick out of actually catching a fish with my flies and it would be just as exciting to know that my flies are catching fish around the world. :D You might feel the same. Just a thought.

Thanks again.

Jimboha!

Flies are in route as ofi yesterday at noon-

Evan

Hmm, gives me an idea. Sung to the tune of "Ghost Riders in the Sky":

"Black Ghost Steamers in the Sky"

Their wings are black and stick straight up,

Their tail's some red maribou.

You'd better tie a strong knot, yup.

They'll catch a fish or two!

Don't close your eyes or look away,

They'll disappear right fast.

The fish think this fly is OK

And strike it now - no match the hatch!

Black Ghost Steamers in the Sky

Black Ghost Steamers, you can't buy.

Jimboha!

PS Excuse my lack of meter and flow, I am not a musician nor do I play one on tv. My wife has been helping the youth in church with a parody called "Ghost Chickens in the Sky", so that tune just goes through my head constantly. OK, I promise - no more songs.

benmz - your flies have arrived! Zonker style streamer #8 look even better in person than your photo. Mighty fine looking! I going to have to exercise some real restraint to not start fishing these before the swap is over.

If things keep going like they're shaping up now - with the very good streamers - I think we can safely say that this is one of the best - no, it is THE best swap the 10 of us have been in together. Of course, it is also the first. That's two superlatives for this swap.

Hmm, maybe I should start taking my meds again... :blink:

Really nice looking streamers. I understand that more are on their way. I continue to be excited and assure you that you will be also.

Jimboha!

With only a week to go before flies are due to me:

I hereby declare this swap closed.

That means we have only 10 swappers. But I tied up a second streamer dozen to help fill our numbers, so it's like we have 11.

You each have the option of sending 10, 11, or 12 streamers:

10 - just enough for each swapper to get one.

11 - just enough for each swapper to get one including my second pattern.

12 - one for each swapper; a randomly-selected duplicate from someone

or

12+ - one for each swapper; extras to be donated to a worthy and worthwhile charity (thanks, Bob)

Please tell me if you would like to donate your extra flies!

If you don't tell me what you prefer, I will send back as many flies as you send in.

If you donate, you will receive 11 flies in return. Otherwise you will receive as many flies as you send in. If you do send 12, you will get a randomly-selected duplicate. (NO bribes accepted! :rolleyes: )

Thanks again for your participation!

Evan, your Black Ghosts arrived. At the risk of sounding like a broken record: these guys look even better in person.

Keep up the good work, fellow swappers. The end is in sight and the flies are looking really good, certainly worth the effort of the swap!

Jimboha!

Flies went in the mail today hopefully they won't take more than 4 days to get to Boise from Missoula

Montana? Why, that'd be a whole 'nother country, wouldn't it? :lol:

I'll let you know when they get here. (And I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm predicting that they will look even better in person...)

Jimboha!

PS Any more in the mail? Gotta be sent soon to get get here by the end of the week. Please let me know if you are having any issues. But so far all of you but one have told me that your flies were about to be sent. So we're looking pretty good. Everything OK up north?

My "Peacock Streamers" are in the mail and should arrive very shortly. Hope everyone enjoys their flies!

Dan

My "Peacock Streamers" are in the mail and should arrive very shortly. Hope everyone enjoys their flies!

Dan

Thanks, Dan, I'll be watching for them. I agree with your sentiment - I hope everyone enjoys their flies. But after seeing some of them already, I'm pretty certain everyone will.

Jimboha!