Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tee Nootsie Brasseau

Hook Savvy

I made a study by fishing popping bugs and wooly buggers and 8 or 7 different bream flies. I tie them on size 10 hooks, size 8 hooks and size 6 hooks. I fish them over two summers.

I learn that size 10 hooks work find yet when using I catch more smaller fish it seems. Also with a 10 hook big old blue gill tend to swallow it. I makes it hard to get it out and you can not catch and release after you have torn a small hook from a patasa.

I lear that size 8 ia better...catch bigger fish and the smaller ones dont seem to get in it the lip and comes out a little easier.

I learn that the best size hook to use for patasa are size 6. Small ones just can not get it in there. It comes out quickly and easily and you get to catch him a tomorrow cause you can release him back to home. You also catch bass that lurk around and the 6 will hold him. No matter that its a popping bug or tied wooley bugger. I now tie all my bream and sac a lait stuff on size 6 hooks. All is said and done and this is true....the 6 is big enough and its small enough. Tee

When fishing #10 and smaller poppers for bream smashing the barb is a great aid in removing the popper when swallowed.

One of those tools for removing flies which are shaped something like this " >------------------[][][][][][][][][][] " which can be inserted

to the bend of the hook, pushed back to remove the point of the hook from where it is caught, and then gently lifted while removing

the popper can greatly ease the process of removal.

Around here if you catch a fish, especially a protected fish. You are supposed to just cut the line, so the fish can get away. After awhile the hook will rust out on its own. That is with trout at least in my experiance. I could care less about panfish. B)

Around here if you catch a fish, especially a protected fish. You are supposed to just cut the line, so the fish can get away. After awhile the hook will rust out on its own. That is with trout at least in my experiance. I could care less about panfish. B)

I guess it is a depend on what you like thing cher..........I do not care if all the trout go awaw to trout heaven...as long as the panfish are here. I like them and I want to see them pass a good life..............its just what you like........