Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fatkid71

Super Hair baitfish

Im trying my hand at some baitfish patterns using superhair and they are just not coming out like I want them to. I was wondering if anyone else has used superhair to make baitfish and if the had any problems? Here is a pic of my latest one. If anyone has any tips on how to make it better please let me know. Thanks for any and all replies.

post-42772-0-56363200-1337008822_thumb.jpg

How would you like them to come out?? It isn't a bad fly for catching on. Cosmetic things; you could try using a little less length in the hair on the bottom of the hook so it creates the teardrop profile as it tapers towards the longer top wing. Tie the wing material in slightly back from the eye so when you form the thread head you won't have the stragglers over the eye. (thats just cosmetic though)

You seem to have the right proportion of material thickness. You want to keep that translucent look. I would probably add 4 or 5 strands of flash into the top wing.

As I say, what are you aiming for and then folk can give better pointers.

Super hair is not the best material for baitfish IMO, but it does have it's uses. I would say if you're tying for species like Pike, Muskies, Barracuda or Bluefish, those with lot's of teeth it's a good material because it's durable. It doesn't have the best movement to it. It does have transluscence, and can provide good profile, which your fly has.

Generally what you've tied looks fine. It won't give you a nice smooth tapered body like finer materials. I would have added some flash materials between the two colors, and let it extend past the super hair. Flash can be over done, but IMO this type fly can use it, as it will give the appearance of movement, particularly for the above mentioned species.

Otherwise, the head needs to be finished a little neater, and a coat or 2 of epoxy or one of the UV acrylics & I think you'll have a decent fly.

Other flies that are perfect for super hair are some of the various Bob Popovic's patterns, like the Surf Candy series.

I tie simple Bluefish patterns with it, and some similar but heavier crinkled nylon, for which it works very well. IMO, it's a better material used in combination with other materials when you want to get creative, not as a stand alone material.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for your replies guys. I was going to add some flash to it but forgot about it until after I had already finished. Im tying these for pike/muskie. As for what im looking for i am just trying to replicate some of the great baitfish flies I have seen on here.again thanks for the input. I really appreciate it

I tied a few pike flies using the superhair and some other brands of similar stuff. The crinkled wing material works well as the crinkle gives it all a look of movement. I found adding a marabou collar at the head helped with a bit of movement but didn't add too much bulk or weight. Not sure if you do already but if you comb the wing it blends the flash or other materials in really well and you don't get that 'sectioned' look that you can get.

Ill have to try adding the marabou collar. And thanks for the comb idea i havent done that. Hopefully it will help make it blend together better. I just started tying thies winter and really want to try and catch a pike/muskie on the fly rod.

Check out the pike fly fishing association on the web. UK site but lots of good info.

One thing I would say is aim for flies around 4 inch long. I've found them big enough for big fish and they don't tire you out from casting all day so I fish them better. When I first tied for pike I tied 6inch plus flies and they work but hell they are work. I found that I struggled to be bothered on the quiet days when the going was hard.