Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C Teeter

Sixth finger scissors

I'm torn between the standard 4.5 sixth finger and the tungsten 4.5's , if anyone is using them I would like to hear you're thoughts on which pair is better. I'm thinking the tungstens may be hard to sharpen later on??

If you are not cutting wire or kevlar with the tungsten you may never need to sharpen them.

I have scissors that are 20 years old (not 6th finger) but are as sharp as when i got them. If

you buy a good pair buy a cheaper pair for the rough work and you can always sharpen

Them .

I've got both and honestly haven't been able to tell the difference. They are both still sharp and I wouldn't tie with anything else! ;) I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

If you are not cutting wire or kevlar with the tungsten you may never need to sharpen them.

I have scissors that are 20 years old (not 6th finger) but are as sharp as when i got them. If

you buy a good pair buy a cheaper pair for the rough work and you can always sharpen

Them .

I second this statement.

Gentlemen I appriecaite the advice, especially about keeping the wife away still haven't figured how to accomplish that task but still working at it just for the principle of it. I believe I will try the tungstens in the 4.5 don't really think I can go wrong either way

Gentlemen I appriecaite the advice, especially about keeping the wife away still haven't figured how to accomplish that task but still working at it just for the principle of it. I believe I will try the tungstens in the 4.5 don't really think I can go wrong either way

Great choice. I use the 6th fingers for the majority of my tying. I've given several pairs away to friends I tie with too.

I have a cheap pair of scissors for wire and I prefer to use a regular style scissor for art-work (sculpting hair and such).

One great benefit for me that's happened since I began using the 6th fingers is I am now comfortable tying while wearing scissors, even some non-sixth fingers. Before, I would pick up and then put down scissors everytime I needed to cut and invariably I'd spend a lot of time looking for the darn scissors amongst whatever materials that happened to be on my bench. I ended up buying a couple pairs of scissors just to have a pair at the ready when I couldn't locate the pair I used just a minute ago! The sixth fingers solved my scissor problem.

Good choice. I bought the standard first, just to try them out, and after falling in love with them, bought the tungsten. The tungsten are sharper - well worth it. These are the only scissors I tie with now (other than scissors for cutting wire).

I have a pair of Anvil scissors that I keep in my hand while tying and they work well, the sixth finger scissors would obviously be comfortable and I have to have a pair to add to my collection