Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bill Dickerson

Vise Base?

I can understand the vise needs to have a work surface. What I can't see in my mind is how the ones with clamps attach to a desk. If I clamp it to the front edge of the desk that would seem too much in the way in reference to materials, Etc. If I clamp it to the left edge it would seem I'm losing part of my work surface and it forces me into the legs of my desk. Is there a base that it can clamp to? I see the ones with bases built in but they are a little more expensive.

Whether you have a pedestal or clamp vise, the vise will occupy space. It seems to me that the vise will occupy less space on your surface

when placed at the edge of the tying table which would be on the left side if you are right handed and on the right side if you are left handed.

The only problem is if you do not position your vise on the center of the tying table, you are going to have to generally turn the vise to a 45

degree angle and sit with your body turned to face the vise. Posture-wise it would not be a good idea to sit for a lengthy tying session with

your body twisted like a pretzel.

i;m not exactly sure what you mean but you can clamp the vise in front of you like those in the foto below. that position doesnt interfere with desk legs. vises using c-clamp bases do not have to be clamped to the sides of tying tables

you can also buy the pedestal base separately if you want to retrofit a c-clamp vise to a pedestal vise

vice-home-3a.jpg

additional examples

4113875501.jpg

OK thanks. I didn't understand that it could be changed from one to another. I have a rather deep desk so on the front edge would make the back of the desk difficult but I can try both.