Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

More production work

Here's some pics from part of the last order that went to the Ft. Lauderdale Fly Shop.... This is the last one that I'll ever deliver since they're shutting down at the end of this month. For those in my area the Miami Fly Shop will absorb their inventory and I'll be tying for them (hopefully). As usual for a commercial tyer, you end up tying the stuff that's wanted locally. In my case that involves bucktail jigs as well as flies (to another shop)... In order you're looking at the Black Death, the Green & Grizz, the Swamp Rabbit in green and gray, and the Silhouette. Over the years I've tied hundreds of dozens of the Silhouette...

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

post-30940-0-63506800-1341142977_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-84387500-1341142994_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-50674900-1341143017_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-51954100-1341143037_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-97580300-1341143079_thumb.jpg

I hope the new work pans out well for you.

Great work Capt Bob. Are the collars on the swamp rabbit just saddle hackles with the fluff from the base left in? Also, I can't tell but the Silhouette tail feathers look like they are tied facing in like a DT special. Any reason for this or just personal preference?

Yes, the collars are all saddles with as much of the fluff left in place as possible (the only exception is the Swamp Rabbit where I used Schlappen since I didn't have the wide webby saddle stock in fl. Chartreuse).

From the first day I came up with the Silhouette ('79 or '80) it was designed to have a "Deceiver style" tail, mated to a Homer Rhode style body. When the feathers aren't splayed the fly just moves a bit more like a baitfish in my opinion (although if you work it like a shrimp it will do that as well, gliding crosscurrent and down to where fish are holding). The Silhouette from the beginning was supposed to mimic the outline of a baitfish - in this configuration, a three to four inch pilchard or razor belly sardine. This pattern may be the closest I've ever come to a universal pattern for the tropics and up the coast to the Carolinas. Up your way the baitfish profiles are a bit different....

Thanks, I will definitely give them a shot. The silhouette will do well in my area, I'm sure. By the way, what is the difference with schlappen and wide webby saddles? I always thought schlappen feathers were the wide webby saddles

Not sure how to describe schlappen (my bible on materials, Fly-Tying Materials by Eric Leiser, 1973.... doesn't even mention schlappen) but it's the feathers near the tail that have some of the characteristics of both neck and saddle.... Unlike saddles that have a pointy end, schlappen is much more rounded similar to neck hackles - but they also have quite a bit of "fluff" like the base of most saddles.

Usually schlappen comes already strung for tyers use but you'll have to work to find some use for it since they're probably best suited for collars on spey flies... I'm sure some of old-timers, no longer with us (guys like Dick Talleur), would have a much better description of this material than I've just given. Hope someone can chime in here and straighten me out if I've gone astray.