Fly Tying

Frank gives good advice. I'll add, don't forget masks (on the fly not your face although that is advised for a lot of painting) to prevent overspray from going where you don't want it. For instance, if you don't want a scale pattern on the front of the bug where the eyes will go, the head, then put a piece of tape over it; preferably in an arc to represent the gill plate as you will have an abrupt line where the overspray goes over the mask. Here is a link to a guy using an airbrush and masks/stencils to do gill plates and fins, it is most amazing - this man is very skilled but carefully making masks and stencils is one of the most important steps in airbrushing, which a can a spray paint basically is, anyway.

Another cheap/easy stencil that I use is a hair comb to get vertical barring. If I want more spacing between the barring, I'll tape off every other space on the comb. Its takes a few minutes but is worth it. First, lay the comb flat and place a piece of masking tape across the face of the comb covering all the teeth, then with an Xacto knife, slice through the tape down each tooth on the side of your space, which in this case would be every third space.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk. Interesting video; but it would be a whole lot better if he talked to an audience; as opposed to himself, as he is barely audible in places.

Frank

Frank, you're right, I had to pull the slider back in a few places and raise the volume to catch what he says in some places. If you want to see some really wild stuff, visit his blog,

http://solarfallbaits.blogspot.com/

his latest blog is some finished real skin baits and the blog or two earlier, he shows the fish skin/scales wrapped on the lure body curing. Scroll through some of his earlier blogs to see some really beautiful painting jobs.

Kirk

Frank, you're right, I had to pull the slider back in a few places and raise the volume to catch what he says in some places. If you want to see some really wild stuff, visit his blog,

http://solarfallbaits.blogspot.com/

his latest blog is some finished real skin baits and the blog or two earlier, he shows the fish skin/scales wrapped on the lure body curing. Scroll through some of his earlier blogs to see some really beautiful painting jobs.

Kirk

Taxidermy Baits !

First off I want to thank everyone for all their advice. I greatly appreciate it. Second, My question to you all is, would an airbrush setup be a useful tool. Im not looking at the cost due to the fact that over time i will get my use out of it and my wife will be needing one anyway for her taxidermy mounts. In respect to fly tying would it be a useful tool to look into getting? I used one when i was younger for models and things of that sort but those days are long since gone. Thank you for all your help......again. Brian