Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Dowdy

storage and desk help

I wanted to see what everyone else dose that has small kids. I have 3 boys ages 1,3,6 and need to keep them out of the stuff. They listen but you know how young kids

are. I was thinking about getting a roll top desk with a lock on it.

Next I wanted to see where everyones setup was is in out of the way in the shop or in a roll top desk in the living room I'm just looking at options and trying to get

ideas. Right now all my tying supplys and tools are in a cardboard box in the closet and I feel if it was redidly avalible I would tie a lot more.

Thanks fir any ideas and tips

Anything that locks is good. I use a computer cabinet and if i had to i could lock it up high enough to keep small hands out of it.

I have 3 kids. Now 6 4 and 1. When the early two reached the age of 2 or 2.5 they were always wanting to be around dads toys, flies, lures, rods reels etc etc. I am a firm believer that kids need to learn through experience so I took a barbless #14 hook and sat with them and showed them that the point is really sharp, they are used to seeing me stab myself on lure hooks and a very small prick with the barbless hook in a finger tip (theirs) showed them that the hooks weren't toys and they have never played with any since. They will ask permission to look at the finished flies and thats fine but always know to look for the hook and hold it so they don't get pricked.

I plan to do the same with my boy when he is that age. Might sound weird in this modern parenting age but it worked for me.

My kit is all outside the house now but the brother-in-law picked up a roll top bureau second hand and I find it good for keeping stuff away but for me, the fact that the material is in drawers beneath the pulled down top when you are sitting at it doesn't suit my tying, I prefer to get material as I fancy rather than setting it all up before I sit down. Try if you can to sit at the desk you want to buy and think about accessing your bits and bobs when your vice is on it.

Finally, tell the 6year old you need him to help you tie and ask him to hold some winging material while you wrap the thread and after a couple of minutes he will either dread coming near you when you're tying or he will be the next fly tyer supreme and you will be glad of his little fingers for your fly supply!

Same situation but for a different hobby.

Picked up two matching file cabinets with locking doors from Staples - 28" deep and then a nice finished piece of plywood 3/4" thick and cut to a width of 30". The plywood is my desk top and the two file cabinets, one at each side, provide SECURE storage from curious little hands.

I finshed my plywood top with about 5 coats of poly and then added an unfinished book case, laid horizontally on top for more storage area.

Just a suggestion.

FredSG

Hi Joe,

I don't have a photo to share with you, as the setup is in another state, actually made it for my wife's craft room. The book case is one of those unfinished types made out of pine - there are five 12" x 12" x 12" cubes one on top of the other - the book case I used is about 5' long. Instead of using it in the vertical, normal position, I just laid it on its side horozontally, on top of the plywood table top. So you have storage space right in front of you and then you could actually put another book case on top of the first for even more storage space.

Hope the above helps you to see what I did. I poly'd everything for my wife - four or five coats on the book cases and plywood top.

FredSG

Fredsg that sounds interesting do you have a pic id like to see the book case laid on the side sounds interesting.