Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Modified a productive topwater to tube style

Can't wait to try this one tube-style and see if I can make it even more snag-less. This topwater makes sort of a "plopping" sound, half slider/half popper. Last year I tried articulating the fly to let the hook free float and maybe be more weed-resistant, with mixed results. I think this will work better.

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0018-1.jpg

Sweet tie! That'll work. Im not familiar how tube flies really work? If the fish jumps at the popper wont it miss the hook, or is not that far back?

It will be a bit farther back, but since it's a short-shanked hook I will use it will not be too far back. It should be good for bass.

If you are looking to turn the hook the 'other way' up to help make it weedless, I've found a small double balances better and helps the fly ride over weed and not turn into it.

Sweet, really like the top color.

What is it and what was used to apply it?

It's called Glitter Foam, it can be found in the craft section of WalMart. It's like a 3mm thick foam with one side coated in glitter and the other side is adhesive-backed. Once I get the colors I want cut into the right sized strips, I cut the end of one strip (bottom piece) to a triangle shape, peel the backing, and tie it in. The secondary color piece, I peel the backing and stick it to the bottom piece, adhesive to adhesive. It's very strong stuff, I've never had it come apart.

Sweet, really like the top color.

What is it and what was used to apply it?

It's called Glitter Foam, it can be found in the craft section of WalMart. It's like a 3mm thick foam with one side coated in glitter and the other side is adhesive-backed. Once I get the colors I want cut into the right sized strips, I cut the end of one strip (bottom piece) to a triangle shape, peel the backing, and tie it in. The secondary color piece, I peel the backing and stick it to the bottom piece, adhesive to adhesive. It's very strong stuff, I've never had it come apart.

Thanks, gotta get some this weekend and give it a workout.

Colored a few with glitter fabric paint and with diamond dust nail polish but none looked that nice.

Wow! That is one serious-looking fly. And thanks for the tip on the glitter foam - I'm gonna see if I can find some today.

Make sure you get your nail polish and wig hair in the same trip!!

TheCream: Thanks for the explination. Very cool fly, Ill be trying to tie one myself.

Nice Jeff. I like using M 3366 hooks on mine.

I have plenty of 3366's, but I'm going to try the Gamakatsu Wide Gap Finesse hooks first. They are a really short shanked hook and lethally sharp. Definitely more $$$ than the Mustad's, though.

I have plenty of 3366's, but I'm going to try the Gamakatsu Wide Gap Finesse hooks first. They are a really short shanked hook and lethally sharp. Definitely more $$$ than the Mustad's, though.

Yea Gamas are great hooks, got a bunch of them in my aresenal.:) Thee 3366 seems lit bit more weedless but the wide gap is important tho.

Yea Gamas are great hooks, got a bunch of them in my aresenal.:) Thee 3366 seems lit bit more weedless but the wide gap is important tho.

I tied in a 2-strand 50lb mono weed guard to the Gama's. Testing grounds were not great last night, the place we ended up going doesn't have the best bass fishing. I did manage to go 1/1 though, with this fish.

IMGP3843.jpg

The pond we visited is a killer sunfish/bluegill pond with big gills and redears, so I worked them over on the 3wt most of the night. :)