Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
agn54

first attempt with fish skulls

Yes the material is fantastic just read in another thread someone complaining about price, I think it comes in larger packages than other material. I think for the price it is a GREAT deal I can tie 30 flies out of one package, I tied some bait/glass minnow patterns for some docklights for trout. I will post them and you can see, and I only used one clump and some other flash material can't think of what it is called

Thanks Dave, I actually adapted it from one of your flies with the palmered marabou. I was thinking of doing it all of palmered marabou like your soft hackle fly, but then figured I needed more substance to keep the bulk up so I did the tail out of 2 clumps of finn raccoon. I also left out the soft hackle because I figured it would just get covered by the fish skull. Thanks for the inspiration ;)

SCOwens, that's what I thought it was. I love EP brushes for baitfish patterns, they are real fun and easy to work with. He certainly offers a variety of choices.

riffleriversteelheadslayer, I assume the sculpin heads don't nose dive because of their shape? Is there any side to side action as the fly falls?

Sculpin heads on small, medium or large articulated shanks offer endless possibilities. I've tied them with siwash hooks in tandem and as stingers, or a combo of siwash as the main hook and a small treble stinger. Lethal stuff!

I have used them in several different sizes and i like them a lot. I saw a fly called the "candyman" produced by MFC, and I thought that I would take it a step further by adding in another shank and making it a three piece like the "Nut-Butter". The large Fishskull head is pretty heavy, but I can cast it on a 9 weight, but with a strong wind in my right ear, it gets a little dicey. The smaller sizes are comparable to medium lead dumbbells. I have used these for materials primarily for bass fishing flies, but I would not hesitate to cast them to a trout. The Sculpin Helmet fly is a salamander imitation used for bass as well.

post-30598-0-21586200-1346350717_thumb.jpg

post-30598-0-44418000-1346350751_thumb.jpg

post-30598-0-49313100-1346350828_thumb.jpg

post-30598-0-48437800-1346350971_thumb.jpg

I like 'em a lot, I'm a pretty big jig+plastic fisherman when I break out the spinning gear so the motion of a forward-weighted fly is very natural to me, and the sink rate is pretty gentle compared to jigs. Up and down motion catches a lot of fish.