Fly Tying
Dzura

Northern pile

I'm lookin to take a trip up to lake champlaine NY in the spring hoping to catch a few pike but I have no idea what flys to use figured I can work on them over the winter months also of anyone is familiar with the area any places to venture would be greatly appreciated I plan on making it a couple day adventure

Tight lines

Paul

Pike flys are fun and easy to tye. For pike flys you need it to always be moving. Some material is really good for moving in the water. Some of the good material are marabou and rabbit strips. Pike flys are good because everything you all the material and colors will work great. Pike are such and aggressive fish they will bight pretty much anything you throw at them. To tye a fly for them just add long strips of hair crystal flash and feathers.

Go crazy and good luck!!

there are a few threads on here with flies

Skip the rabbit strips... they hold water = more difficult to cast

that link is a great blog for flies

notice that most are fur (usually bucktail) tied in reverse... this allows for profile without holding water

it also adds great support for the longer/softer materials (flash and feathers)

Anyone familiar with the lake champlaine area for any good spots ?

Haven't fished that water but for Pike the general truths hold most places.

As a general statement look in shallow areas, under 10ft when the water temperature is 55 degrees and below. When the water temperature is 55 to 60 degrees look at moderate depths, and once the temperature exceeds 65, the big pike will be in deep water.

Old river beds that are flooded, areas where side streams run in. Margins that offer a deep area of water close by. If you can fish with someone else it pays to have one fish shallow and one deep and hopefully find the level the fish are at. In the UK, the big trout waters tend to produce the big fish at decent depths upto 50ft. When the trout are hitting fry around the surface, pike will often be hanging beneath waiting to hit a big fat trout or jack pike above.

I fly fish for pike mainly and when i tie foor pike i mainly tye decievers with some red flashabou but my favourite pike hooks are top water flies with buck hair as the head and viciously pop it!!

good luck