Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dzura

Carp trouble

I have been trying to fish my local water for carp but due to heavy rain three weeks ago the water is still chocolate brown so locating them is nigh impossible any suggestions?

When the water is high, I work the shoreline in the high grass....look for them tailing and watch for the grass moving......they love leaving the river bed and getting up in the grass looking for bugs/worms......

Mike

Yep, Carp are big strong fish but hate sitting in a strong flow especially if its cold storm water. Look for areas where the flow is less or canals off the main flow. Can fill up with fish. In the hot hot weather the fish will be near weirs and oxygenated areas.

I'm fishing for them a lot in shallow, dirty water. The lakes and backwaters here in SE Ohio have what I call mud flats. They might be small or maybe an acre or two in size, maybe 12-15" deep, and silty bottomed. The carp feed heavily there and stir up the water. The trick for spotting them is going on a calm day. If there is chop on the water from wind, it's basically a guessing game unless I see a tail flopping out of the water. Most fish I spot in some way like this:

1) darker area in the water where a feeding fish is stirring up sediment

2) air bubbles coming to the surface from carp rooting around

3) seeing the tail out of the water (but this is not as common in my experience)

4) just seeing the back of the fish, usually it will look like a golden-olive line under the surface, or

5) a combination of any of these

Hope that helps. Polarized glasses, even in murky water, are a must. I am kayak fly fishing for carp about every trip for them, and spotting fish is by far the toughest aspect most of the time. If they are feeding really aggressively it makes it a lot easier, but spotting fish before I spook them with the kayak is usually the hardest part.