Fly Tying

Day 6 - blowing a hoolie!

Very strong winds.

Morning on the chums (21) then tried for Chinook this afternoon to no avail - one foul hooked chum only.

No pics, but Coho tomorrow!

Simon

Day 7 - Coho, Chum and Sturgeon.

Tried for Coho first couple of hours, but just a few bites and nothing landed. They're just not here in numbers yet - all the guides report the same.

Couple of hours on the Chum, usual dozen in no time!

Sturgeon afternoon. Unusually we lost 3 large ones, all estimated at over 6 feet. 2 broke the line on snags, the third I played but it was foul hooked (nearly impossible for sturgeon). After 30 minutes of the boat being pulled around by the fish and heading for shallow water Ro took the decision to cut the line. Landed 2 though, pic of the best attached. Also my best fish on the bank from 2 days ago!

Only 2 days left!

Simon

post-33535-0-74230400-1350524492_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-28881200-1350524641_thumb.jpg

There was a "River Monsters" episode (or something like it) where they were going after a large sturgeon. The guy got a fish on and believed he had a world record fish. He fought with this fish for hours and finally tired it enough to get it close to the boat. Turn out to be a 6 footer that was foul-hooked in the tail. Unlike you, they didn't know until they got sight of it.

Good fishing stories, Simon ... good luck getting the Coho run.

Day 8

What a difference a day makes!

The native canadians have set lots of nets out for the salmon. They are allowed to net the fish. They take the females for their eggs only and ship them to Japan.

I was amazed how much difference it made to the number of chums up river, we really struggled to catch them this morning (probably in single figures). Rod, our guide, tells us this happens every year.

So we went sturgeon fishing this afternoon. 4 fish, all 4 - 5 feet, released at the boat.

Also got knuckle dusted by a chum! With the centre-pin if they make a really active lunge and you're not ready its easy to get your knuckles rapped on the handles. Stopped me fishing for half an hour this morning!

Simon

post-33535-0-03199700-1350611225_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-29124900-1350611241_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-22796600-1350611253_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-99419400-1350611286_thumb.jpg

post-33535-0-96478200-1350611305_thumb.jpg

Last day!

Defeated by conditions!

After an extremely dry summer/autumn, the rains came this week. The Harrison was full today and had really coloured up, so chum fishing very limited. We all managed a couple each before heading for a last afternoon's sturgeon fishing. Defeated again! The wind was so strong and the river so full of debris no-one was catching. All the boats returned early to fight another day.

So my conclusions:

Flew from the UK to Vancouver and hired an SUV at the airport. Drove out to Chilliwack (2 hours or so) and stayed at the Royal Hotel in the centre of town.

Self contained trout fishing on the Skagit, but the water was exceptionally low and the fishing not brilliant.

Then had guided days on the Harrison/Fraser rivers for Chum, Coho, Chinook and Sturgeon. The chum run was exceptional and we all caught over 100 fish in the week.

The Coho hadn't arrived in numbers, so I'll just have to try them another year!

Spent a few hours for Chinook but again they were few in number.

The Sturgeon were spectacular this year and we all caught our personal biggest fish!

Guided by Rod from Bentrods guiding - our 6th year with him. He's usually first on the river and last to leave, and what he doesn't know about catching fish isn't worth knowing!

If you want a spectacular adventure on BIG rivers catching a wide variety of salmon with different techniques, I can thoroughly recommend it.

Back to the UK tomorrow for some grayling

Tight lines

Simon