Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SBPatt

Casual Dress SBS

Poking around my flyboxes I came across some stuff from the mid 90's, including a bunch of Casual Dress nymphs. Brought back memories of fishing Rock Creek for the first time - catching some nice 'bows/browns, losing a boatload of nymphs, and taking a fall up above Norton CG that eventually required reconstructive knee surgery. Always thought they were cool flies although I haven't tied any in a long time; grabbed some muskrat and ostrich herl, my copy of Tying & Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs (bless you Polly Rosborough for such a great pattern) and took a trip in the Wayback Machine.

hook - Mustad 9671 #8

thread - Danville 6/0 black

tail - Muskrat

body - Muskrat

collar - Muskrat

head - Ostrich herl

Mash the barb and tie in thread

IMG_1106.jpg

cut a clump of muskrat (I prefer keeping it on the skin until I need it) with guard hairs (comb out a bit of the underfur)

IMG_1111.jpg

cut out some more fur and mix it up (this went into the coffee grinder)

IMG_1113.jpg

take the fur between your palms and roll it into a tapered noodle

IMG_1115.jpg

create a dubbing loop at the tail tie-in

IMG_1118.jpg

tie in the fur noodle by the tip

IMG_1127.jpg

trap it in the loop and spin it until it's nice and tight

IMG_1130.jpg

wrap the body up to the 75% mark (looks like I could have wound it a little tighter to get better defined segmentation)

IMG_1133.jpg

tie down and trim excess

IMG_1136.jpg

grab one more clump for the collar (gives me a chance to use one of those Pettijean clips I got years ago); you want the guard hairs

IMG_1139.jpg

spin bobbin to take out the twist in your thread (why I used the Danville and not Uni) and split

IMG_1144.jpg

you can use a loop like I did for the body, but for this application, I much prefer the split-thread method

IMG_1147.jpg

spin the bobbin to trap the fur

IMG_1151.jpg

moisten fingers, stroke fur back towards the rear and wrap

IMG_1153.jpg

completed collar

IMG_1157.jpg

tie in some ostrich herl (got this off a grocery store feather duster; love the color)

IMG_1160.jpg

twist herl together, wrap forward, tie off, apply Sally

IMG_1164.jpg

Polly roughed his up with a hacksaw blade; I don't have that kind of confidence in my tying so I use a velcro brush

IMG_1166.jpg

The body could probably stand to be beefed up a bit, proportions are off, but it was fun just goofing around with an old friend again.

Regards,

Scott

Excellent SBS Scott, very nicely done. This is a great simple pattern that is a good producer in my area.

Mike

A real good looking nymph. I take a trip every winter to fish with a friend of mine in the Tampa Bay area (salt water) We fly fish for Atlantic Spadefish with fresh water nymph patterns and this tie looks like it will do the job nicely. By the way I think we are the only two fools that catch Spadefish this way.

Wonderful! I bought one of these right off the great man's vice when Polly was giving a demo at the Caddis Fly Angling Shop in Eugene, Ore., in the late 1970s. Needless to say, that fly has never seen the water.

Great step-by-step! :)

Great SBS and a fine lookin' fly....I need to get some of that muskrat, the color is killer!

Murray