Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Horseshoes

tube vises

I am looking at the tube vises , I was wondering if any of these can lock it in place. I mean will it just keep turning while I am trying to tie on etc?The price is pretty close and neither say anything about keeping the spinner stationary.

HMH Tube Spinner Vise = 145.00

Renzetti Tube Fly Vise Set w/Pedestal Base Model = 149.95And yes I did a search here on the forum. Any help on which or what would be appreciated.

I got a used vice from Pete Gray. It's a Renzetti. It works well for keeping my tube tight. It is my first tube vice and my first Renzetti. I'm happy with it.

Kevin

Take a look at great lakes spey shop. They carry the off the hook tube vise. Its 140 and is more versatile than either of the other two . It not only rotates. But the head can also be rotated to a verticle position if you want to make woven body tubes. Etc.

I have just been through this dilemma. There are only a few which clamp the tube directly.

The renzetti, dynaking and most of the retrofit attachments use the collet and pin system and do not clamp onto the tube.

The Peak, HMH, "off the hook" and the Grays of Kilsyth needle tube vice all clamp directly. The Peak one looks good but is much dearer over here in the UK. I tried contacting the guy from "Off the Hook" and he never responded, so that got ruled out! The Grays of Kilsyth one looks brilliant for the money but I wanted to be able to rotate the fly without undoing a screw and turning it by hand.

I ended up buying the HMH spinner.

I am reasonably pleased with it. It clamps the tubes well and they don't spin. On the down side, it is not as robust as I would have liked. The drag is a bit cheap and tacky and rotation is not terribly smooth. The stem is too short and the jaws don't open as widely as I would like either. It is no where near as well built as my non-tube tying vice.

After I bought the HMH I discovered one from "Future Fly". I have never seen one or heard anything about them but I think I wish I had bought it instead!

http://www.futurefly.dk/products/products.php?type=32

You can buy it from Foxy Tails. (a good company)

http://www.foxy-tails.co.uk/category-34/FFTFV101.html

Wow Thank you. I know I haven't replied immediately but I have been checking out all the links and I am still doing so. I really appreciate all the responses.

I have both vises and yes you can stop the vises from spinning but if tube is not properly inserted then the tube can spin. I mainly use my HMH and my Renzetti spin dubbing brushes more so. If you not gonna tie tubes bigger than 1/8" then get the HMH as you can get a another head for regular tying hooks so its going do a lot more for you.

I have both vises and yes you can stop the vises from spinning but if tube is not properly inserted then the tube can spin. I mainly use my HMH and my Renzetti spin dubbing brushes more so. If you not gonna tie tubes bigger than 1/8" then get the HMH as you can get a another head for regular tying hooks so its going do a lot more for you.

You can only change the head on the HMH "Premium" tube vice which appears to be a Spartan with the tube vice head instead of the normal tying jaws. The "Spinner" is a dedicated tube vice and is much cheaper.

That is correct. I already had the Standard so i purchased the head assembly. still nice and my son is supposed to machined me one entirely different but work in same way.