Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Phish

TubeVersion Pheasant Mutuka Muddler

By requests I am posting a pcture of tubes I tie in a few different colors. I first started using these on trouts with awesome results and the smallies would hammer it with reckless abandon.

IMG_20121112_201107.jpg

I normally use a smaller #10 hook but I grabbed this 6 for the picture. Got a silver pheasant version to but they are all beat up from heavy use. Got to tie some more up.

Uummmm, Phish ... ?

When you "tie some more up" ... how about taking lots of pictures and doing a recipe? Please?

I am also interested in sizes and availability of brass tubes.

Mike, all the tubes i cut to to lengths from 3/16" tubes. When i can get a couple days at home i can do a SBS but it will be awhile yet.

Mike, if you are looking at Bass or Trout sizes, you might want to stick with a plastic tube and the cone head. Tungston cones will take it as deep as you're likely to need but will be easier to cast on a trout outfit than a brass tube.

The plastic used to hold the ink in a biro is a good size. Most cones will need a 2mm tube to fit snug.

If you can put the practice in, you can tie a good little trout fly on the crimps they use for rig making.

crimp.jpg

Very easy to cast as no real weight and you can make the tail as long as you need. 2 or 3 inch look good on these.

The waters i fish mostly are fast and deep with brass tube and coneheads it gets me in the zone. Easily done on a 5wt.

Thanks for the info, guys. I am presently out of town but will be going home tomorrow. I'll be trying some of those tubes in a few days.

I ll be home Sunday at least til early evening that i can help you out. U can get ahold of me pm and my phone if you immediate help.