Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
toothyfisha

toothy flies

Here are some of my first attempts at muskie/pike flies. They are all tied on size 8 long shank hooks. The materials I used were maribou, flashabou, and thread! Simple fly really. I was kind of following a Dave mcfluffchucker video, that is why I've added the eyes. Please be honest. Don't hold back your negativity, it only helps me.also, I think I went a little heavy on the flash. Maybe not!

p.s. Most of the flies are a little wet because I put them into a fish tank to see how they look if that matters. haha

post-46066-0-77513400-1353968495_thumb.jpg

post-46066-0-91750000-1353968406_thumb.jpg

post-46066-0-17180100-1353968575_thumb.jpg

post-46066-0-06157400-1353968609_thumb.jpg

post-46066-0-44872600-1353968629_thumb.jpg

Not a musky / pike hunter , but I know smallies and large mouth bass would eat those up...nice job!

Murray

I don't know where you will be fishing but I doubt there is too much flash. If I was going to make a trip to the north for pike I would even tie a few with all flash. Sometimes they like lots of flash.

Nice ties toothy, those will drive the pike nuts!! Make sure you tie one or two that are all black. ditz is right, you can't have too much flash when chasing pike. I don't know anything about musky though. As far as the size is concerned, #8 is a bit small, I don't go smaller than a #4, and I typically use #1 up to #2/0. Don't worry though, I have hooked them on 12's and 14's, even size 18 midges so don't let the hook size throw you off. Are you tying for next season? Our lakes here in Colorado are starting to ice up.

yeah, I don't get my rod until christmas, but here in PA I would be fishing all fall. I'll start up when the ice gets off the river in pursuit of them toothies. In regard to hook size, if i can find some hooks of that size that are thin enough to fit in my vice I will surely give them a shot. And i'll add more flash to future creations.

Don't be worried by the size 8. Big flies do work but they can put fish off too. In all my bait and lure years 3-6 inch baits ruled. But there are days you need bigger AND smaller. So work with those flies at getting your depth right and retrieve speed right then worry about switching patterns. Plenty of pike are caught on 'trout' flies in UK stocked waters every year.