Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dawgvet

Thoughts on Dyna King Trekker?

Been mulling over purchase of a new vise for a while. I want a true rotary vise and wanted to stay under $300. I like the simplicity of the Dyna King jaw adjustment and locking mechanism. I looked over the Trekker and it seems to do everything I would need a vise to do. Having hard time justifying the extra $120 or more for the Barracuda. I had thought of ordering the midge jaws later as I tie trout flies almost exclusively. Anyone have any input or advice?

Thanks

Jed

I used this set up for a couple of years.

Vice.jpg

It was good. Though the jaws didn't last as long as I would have liked. I went through two sets of midge jaws and a set of the large jaws. I was tying full time in those days, so that is probably many years of "normal" service.

They are plenty solid enough. I've also used the full sized Barracuda. If I was looking again I'd go for the Trekker over the larger one.

Cheers,

C.

I used this set up for a couple of years.

It was good. Though the jaws didn't last as long as I would have liked. I went through two sets of midge jaws and a set of the large jaws. I was tying full time in those days, so that is probably many years of "normal" service.

They are plenty solid enough. I've also used the full sized Barracuda. If I was looking again I'd go for the Trekker over the larger one.

Cheers,

C.

Like Crackaig, I prefer the Trekker to the Barracuda, mostly because the Trekker is more portable. If tying larger flies (e.g. saltwater), I'd prefer the Barracuda.

I have used the Trekker for a few years now and love it. I can tie large streamers, intruders or small nymphs and the jaws hold every size hook. It even hold the HMH tube adaptor with ease. I have used a Barracuda a few times and couldn't see the need to "upgrade". Both are very nice and vertually bomb proof. Unless you are tying 2/0 hooks or bigger I think the Trekker would do just fine.

Unless you are tying 2/0 hooks or bigger I think the Trekker would do just fine.

I respectfully disagree. I tie from as small as 26 and as large as 6/0 on the stock jaws on my Trekker and have no issues. The grooves in the jaws are there to hold large hooks.

Hi dawgvet,

Gretchen and I tested those vises before they went on the market and they are a very good vise and great value for the money! We still have a couple we use from time to time. Take care & ...