Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

FTF Fly Pattern - freyfisher - Hex Extended Body Hairwing Dun

I really like that fly! It looks like it would float like a cork. How do you get the segments in the abdomen? I love fishing the hex hatch and have done well with a deer hair hex. I will definately tie some for this June/July!

Thanks! The body is 2mm white foam tied on a needle prior to tying the fly. Fly Tyer magazine has articles on extended bodies that may help. I think that I read about this method there. Put needle in vise w/ the point out (be careful). Tie in a couple of moose hairs right at taper/point end. Net tie form in at the same spot and have excess foam pointing left. Tie foam in w/ loose wrap while "fording together. Move back (left) by 1 segment and repeat. When finished, whip finins and pull from needle. An easier alternative may be to use a foam cylinder, but I have't tried. I hope this helps. If not google foam extended bodies and maybe that'll give some links to better info. I just can't remember exactly where I read about the method.