Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
John j.

Chesapeake warrior

I'm like new to fly fishing and Brand new to fly tying. Have fished for Bass & Blue Gill. Use a Batten kill 4 wt. and rod to match. Also have an 8/9 rod & reel just waiting on me. (For those Chesapeake Bay VA, Knotts Island NC Strippers) Circumstances have slowed my progress so I'm taking a different tack permitting me to stay close to home yet be involved with fly fishing. I just received a new Nor-vise package deal. I have been learning from the available online videos and hope to get some personal training soon. At 72 years of age I think it's time I get this long time dream into practice. A very nice gentlemen directed my foray into the sport by helping me choose really great equipment. Hope the fish will be so honored when caught that I have went to such great expense. :-) this venture into fly tying has stirred my emotions much as I experienced as a child or young man when going fishing on the Embarass river out of Pella Wisconsin. And on Lake Wisconsin just north of Madison where we rented boats and stayed on an island for weekends. WOW the feeling is just as exhilarating. Anyway I've not any allusion that I can do this without obtaining a decent foundation. I just hope others will help me to learn so that's I don't have to reinvent the wheel. I have caught several small Largemouths largest over a foot long and a lot of bluegills and one that was approaching a foot. I was hooked.

I live in Chesapeake Va now and learned of two fly tyers that frequent my local Hardee's restaurant. Hope i can get some much need instruction from them. Wish me luck. John j.

John, welcome to the site & the addiction! I'm further up the Chesapeake, near Annapolis in MD. I've been tying & fly fishing for a long, long time, so any help I can give, is your's for asking. I'm also primarily a warmwater & tidalwater angler.

Since you're getting started, there is an event up here each year called Tiefest, put on free of charge by a local fellow. It's usually put on in late Jan. or Feb. There are quite a few reputable fly anglers & tiers who attend, and give demonstrations, where anyone can spend as much time watching & asking questions as you wish. There are some fellows from down your way that attend. I've not seen a date as yet for this year. The fellow who started the event, Tony Friedrich, has a Facebook page (Tiefest) and is active on the CCA MD page. Just do a Google search for "Tiefest". It's an event that is well worth attending.

Jim

Hi John - welcome to the FTF and the fellowship of flyrodders and tyers. I'm across the Bay in Wachapreague, though I used to live in Portsmouth. Lots of fishing opportunities in your area. Fly fishermen were scarce back in the 90s, when I lived there - if you've found a couple who are willing to help you get off the ground, you're way ahead of the game. Don't be afraid to jump right in here - this is a really friendly crew, with a wealth of talent and experience.

Thank You all for your kind words and offers of help and to the "fshrmanms" post. I too live in Great Bridge just off Cedar Rd. My usual breakfast table is located at the Hardee's on Cedar Rd. most days from 9:30 or there a-bout until 11:00 AM. My boss has said I don't have to get up early anymore.... Also you will see me at the Centerville & Mt. Pleasant Hardees each Saturday listening and dancing to the music of the Country Rebels Band from 7pm to 9:30PM, of course I get there several hours early to get a seat...

Also to "Tidewaterfly".. Thank You, thank you for the heads up on the "Tiefest" event. I hope its not cancelled as I begin to grow my wings.... Anyone else having information to Fly Tying events and local fly fishing events, I'de just love to attend especially come spring thru the fall. I'll bring the little woman and you can pick us out as the couple in the "17' Casita travel trailer." Just love my "Little House" We named it "ThisLDo".

Oh yes, i use to spin-fish from my Kayaks. What fun when you have a big stingray take hold of your plug and pull you around for a half hour or so... I for got to de-barb the hook and lost my brand new super duper lure... For some years now I have been de-barbing my hooks as I see it giving the fish a fighting chance.. Just love it. most of the time I win, having had a wonderful fight landing it then the joy of releasing it.... John j.