Fly Tying
tucents

Foam bass popper problem

Your hook is long, that's why popper facing up. Next time tie on short hooks it will float right. In that pics looks great and will catch a fish for sure!

Using a short hook will reduce your chance of hook ups. Many times it hard to find long shanked hooks that is not to light a wire diameter.

Which is why if I can make them in a tube style popper then I will once my hook inventory is depleted.

I'd highly reccommend Jay "fishy" Fullum's book on using Household Materials in Fly Tying (Not sure of exact title). He uses a lot of different types of paints and coatings. Very well worth the price. Amazon has used copies very reasonable. I use Creamcoat sealer on cork and balsa before painting. Delta Ceramcoat- Sparkle Glaze DecoArt makes Star Lite TopCoat, Duraclear makes a Varnish all available at :Michaels, Hobby Lobby, other craft stores. Some folks use epoxy- I don't like to use it. A fingernail polish called TOP COAT works also. I highly reccommend TESTING a coating on a sample of foam and paint before using it on a lot. I've had some melting and peeling with some combo's.

As far as the position of the popper, I believe dying fish on the surface may actually have their tails submerged- heaqd up often. I tie my pencil poppers with some slight weighting so that they sit tail down on a 45 degree angle. I want to fish them "Walking the Dog" like a bait caster fishing a Zara Spook.

I stop finish coating foam as i found they chip or crack and they seem to look better without. I dont use the premade hard bodies at all.

It should be self evident to anyone who has ever 'paid attention' to a frog that is just 'laying there' on the surface of the water that all but the head is actually submerged.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="perchjerker" data-cid="530798" data-time="1358108377"><p>

It should be self evident to anyone who has ever 'paid attention' to a frog that is just 'laying there' on the surface of the water that all but the head is actually submerged.</p></blockquote>

That is absolutely correct PJ! Also a frog will dive to bottom to hide from predators.

That is absolutely correct PJ! Also a frog will dive to bottom to hide from predators.

Yep! As a retired fisheries biologist, I know that it is correct. Thanks for the acknowledgement of my statement.