Fly Tying
André Ribeiro

Hi from Brasil

Hi folks,

I'm from Brasil, have many years in fishing (many kinds) but just crawling in fly fishing.

I'm trying to learn a little about fly tying too, I already have tools, a great vise, a bench and some material.

Hope I can also give a little about my experiences, mainly the ones specific about the fly fishing and tying from my country.

Big Hug wink.png

Hi Terry,

Thanks! I'm from Niterói, it's a neighbor city to Rio de Janeiro. Eventually you could hear about it because of a famous bridge between these cities, the Rio-Niterói bridge.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, hope you come back soon.

Big Hug wink.png

Welcome to the site. Are we going to see some peacock bass and cat fish and tiger fish on the end of your flies?

Hi Piker,

Thanks a lot. Peacock bass certainly, but catfish and tigerfish I guess not.

It's not common capture catfish with fly here in Brasil, and here we don't have tigerfish (if we're talking about the same specie).

183_Tiger_Fish_taxidermy_mount.jpg

Or you're refering to this fish (Golden Dorado)?

novoDOURADO.jpg

Big Hug wink.png

nope referring to the top toothy tiger. I caught some in Chile and kinda did that thing of assuming they were continent wide. Who would think a few thousand miles would affect distribution so much!

Piker,

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the top one (also called goliath tigerfish) is an african specie, and it could no occur in Chile.

Are you sure it's the same fish? huh.png

About the distances, I live in a place very close to the sea, it's very hot here, yesterday the thermometer was marking 105.26º F, and around just 75 miles far from here (where my parents has a cottage), the temperatures are around 65º F (and there we have rivers with trouts). It's really amazing.

Big Hug wink.png

Welcome to the site, Andre.

You are correct about the Tiger Fish ... African. I am looking forward to some pictures and perhaps, videos of catching those Dorado.

Don't forget to send plenty of pictures of all the wildlife you see. Monkeys, parrots, big ants and spiders ... all creatures that are exotic to us ...

Again, welcome to the site.

Mikechell,

Thanks for the welcome.

Here in Brazil there are many rivers with dorado. It occurs also in our neighbors countries (Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay), where is called "El Tigre", maybe is the cause of this misunderstanding.

Here a video of the capture of dorado (this is an excellent site with many videos from fishing and nature from Brazil)

http://www.fishtv.com/site/programas/episodio.php?id_episodio=384

And here is me with a small one:

Dorado.JPG

Big Hug wink.png

Umm, I was travelling through region 11 in patagonia and was around the area of Laguna San Rafael. The fish were all around 2lb, in the margins of fast flowing water. They were 100% silver, not gold or yellow or any other hint of colour apart from the black lines along the flank. Very pronounced teeth just like the tiger fish. No upright dorsal fin like Erythrinidae have.

When I got home the only thing that looked like that was the goliath. It may not have been but I've never found any other fish looking like it. Tasted great too!

Piker,

I think in three possibilities (despite I don't sure these three species occur in Patagonia):

1) Saicanga (most probable), its teeth are big! (but it doesn't grow much)

Saicanga.jpg

especies:characidae:acestrorhynchinae:ac

2) Tabarana (your description looks more like this, but its teeth are smaller)

tabarana.jpg

3) Dorado (El Tigre) - If the local you has fished was reached by the ashes of vulcan Copahue or Puyehue, the fish could be changed its color to look like the bottom of the river or lake. Some friends just returned from there and the Brown Trouts were totally silver (because of the ashes).

dorado_051-290x290.jpg

Big Hug wink.png

Thats a great reply. I think it was the first fish you show. The Saicanga. We were downstream from volcanos, many many miles. But the fish had the definate fangs top and bottom not just a row of little teeth.