Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tailout

Dry fly hackle issues

Hi folks,

First post here smile.png I've been tying for about a year and a half. I tie mostly streamers and nymphs but recently started to work on custom dry fly emergers and adults specific to the waters that I fish.

I've been having a problem with the hackle spiraling instead of coming off the hook straight. I've tried a couple of tips from websites but I still get this effect. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Suggestions?

Thanks!!

spiral.jpg

it looks fine to me,if your hackle is a lower quality there may not be as many fibers per inch of feather making it lass full.

all hackle "spirals" to some degree- Nick made a good observation. Other things I can see are perhaps trying to keep a smaller diameter base that you're wrapping your hackle over, the smaller the bend radius the more the hackle will stand out perpendicular to the wound feather shaft; and making more wraps, as tightly spaced as possible will include more hackle barbs making this effect less noticeable.

I hadn't thought of the base issue. I'm using a Metz #2 so I imagine that would contribute? On the flies that I've been tying, there is a deer hair stack that I'm wrapping over first then to the eye. I've put a couple into water and a couple do tilt a bit to one side but I'm hoping this is a minor issue. Thanks for the response.

Given your comment about 'tying it over a deer hair stack' clearly indicates that JSz hit the nail on the head; the diameter of the base you are tying it over is too large to effect a perpendicular stand of the barbs from the quill, or stem.

all hackle "spirals" to some degree- Nick made a good observation. Other things I can see are perhaps trying to keep a smaller diameter base that you're wrapping your hackle over, the smaller the bend radius the more the hackle will stand out perpendicular to the wound feather shaft; and making more wraps, as tightly spaced as possible will include more hackle barbs making this effect less noticeable.

Excellent point! I second that.