Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Brainstorming->January field testing bluegill pattern

I was thinking Friday night, late, about combining some elements of my most productive bluegill flies into one simple, durable, effective pattern. What I cam up with is probably nothing new, just new to me. I call it "Nothing Special."

DSC_0105_zpsc2295e6d.jpg

I tied up a few test patterns and headed out the door to a public pond since I had some free time Saturday on a mild 65 degree January day in Ohio. It was a good test, the fly held up great and produced over 30 fish. Two were over 9" for the Fish Ohio trophy qualification.

IMGP4119_zps31294169.jpg

IMGP4115_zps88da9060.jpg

The two bigger fish:

IMGP4114_zpsa0b352bc.jpg

IMGP4118_zps9ffb97e8.jpg

looks like a great panfish fly, and successful too :) Is that a chenille body or dubbed ?

Mike

looks like a great panfish fly, and successful too smile.png Is that a chenille body or dubbed ?

Mike

Chenille. Here is the recipe:

Hook: #14 traditional nymph hook

Bead: small copper

Thread: black 6/0

Tail: chart. Krystal Flash

Body: chart. chenille

Legs: barred chart./black centipede legs

Head: black UV Ice Dub

Bluegills are rough on flies and this one held up very well after nearly 30 fish. The other few I caught took the white/red version I also tied. Chart./black was by far the color of choice from the fish. I also tied a black/orange head version with orange/black centipede legs which didn't even get touched, which surprised me. I typically do real well with mostly black patterns for bluegills.

thanks for the recipe. I think it has allot to do with the time year and where your fishing what works and doesn't atleast in my experience with Gills.

Mike

water is hard here, will have to get a 50 gal. tank and put some gills in for testing in winter..Nice fly