Fly Tying
USCGFlyGuy

Second attempt at Gurglers

Second attempt at Gurglers in my first two weeks of fly tying. I am really happy with these results and looking forward to the reds to start keying on topwater! Tell me what you think!

post-46470-0-54680600-1358431488_thumb.jpg

They look terrific to me. Anything designed by Jack Gartside is going to catch a lot of fish; he's probably my all-time favorite tyer. Look forward to seeing more of your stuff; you're catching on remarkably fast.

They look good to me.

Check out the fly in this Sheeps lip. That is my friend Barrett, he caught two Sheepshead that day on the Gurgler.

Kirk

DSC_0687-21.jpg

Those will catch fish for sure, trout love 'em...A good color around here is tan foam and tail, never fails.

I have tied a couple gurglers but never had much success with them.

Me thinks it's time to tie a few more if sheepheads are chewing them.

Do you guys have any preference on how to fish gurglers? Do you pop them or slow strip to glide them across the surface? I think I saw somewhere once that Gartside himself said it was best to glide them but I may be mistaken

The one Barret tied above, sat just in the surface film. Not sure if he used less foam or did something with the body to make it sit right under the surface. It didn't really pop but was/is more like a slider streamer. We both were very surprised when the Sheeps ate it. Must look like a shrimp to them???

Kirk

For me, in regards to the gurgler action, it depends on the target species.

I have had more success with a 'pop' on sea trout and bass, and a glide for redfish.

To get a gurgler to suspend just below the surface I thin down the foam profile to about 3/4 the hook gap. For a floating gurgler I use the full hook gap as a guide.

I found that Crease Flies seemed to excite speckled trout more than the gurglers. The problem I had with the Crease flies was they would miss it several times in a row and It was very difficult to not set the hook when they would short strike but they did like them. The first ones I did had a body that was too tall and the fly would lay on its side. Apparanltly the hook would not heavy enough to make the fly keel properly but the trout still liked them.

I have had good luck on trout by popping the gurglers as well. I haven't tried the glide for reds yet but will give it a shot. For crease flies, I have had some lay on their side as well but the fish still hit them. I think it looks like a dying minnow swimming on its side

Crease flies can be made with the intent of them laying on their side if you wish. Simply mount the hook to the side, so it's perpendicular to the flat side of the body. IMO, made this way improves hook-up's when they lay on the side. It's not the conventional way to make them, but as you guys have said, they work well that way, so might as well take advantage of it.