Fly Tying
Boron11mx

See Best System

So I am reading What Fish See and was wondering if anyone has purchased the see best system talked about in the book? If so is it worth it or is there a way to construct one cheaper and easier?

Thank You

I have that book and I am sure he discusses the process of making a box with coloured plastic film. You can see how the fly looks to US through the coloured plastic chocolates come in. The red, brown and yellow films are good. But even though I found the book interesting I still have a problem that it looks at flies and colour from a human view point. When you see the pics of materials in the green water you notice several colours disappear in OUR eyes but in practice fish have shown a preference to one of these colours over others so fish must still see something we dont.

I didn't purchase the system, but I did put some colored film over the lens of a flashlight to see what he was talking about.

The more I read the book the more confused I got. Seems like depth, clouds, distance, sun angle, water color, water chop, etc. all can change what the fish suposedly sees and therefore what color works best. Start combining all possible combinations of these variables and you need a computer. Plus, we will never REALLY know what a fish sees and how they process that information. An interesting read, but basically a waste of time for me.